Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1-I need to know if there is supposed to be a bolt in this hole. I've looked through my manuals and tried to find pics that show it but I've had no luck. The same hole on both sides of the bike are empty and I think I can see threads inside.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The air dam isnt so important although some would disagree. Its supposed to help cool the coils. The bolt there also helps seal the head gasket. Bit more important. My bike has been running fine without the dam.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
If you run without an air dam keep an eye out for ignition problems over time.Several members on this and the previous version of this forum had to replace it or make their own heat deflectors for the coils as they got misfiring and limited top-end speeds and loss of power.

There will be extra heat going across the coils without the Air-dam which may cause them to break down when the engine is running at it's normal running temperatures which will be amplified if the coils are not in a good state.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Coils go bad and eventually have to be replaced. I don't think anyone would argue that. But to say that the coils failed due to lack of an air dam is another subject. The coils in my vehicles do not have an air dam and a coil is a coil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts