Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am considering parting this GL500 out, or picking up a rough CX and having this for backup parts (because ordering parts from ebay get VERY expensive.)

I believe the intake manifolds are different
Carbs are %100 the same?
Does a CX chrome fender fit on a GL?
suspension is different
handlebar switches are different
front rim is the same
rear is 16'' on GL
different ignitions, tdi on GL vs cdi on CX
air box is the same?
exhaust and H box is the same

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,455 Posts
They both have 19" wheels, but I don't know if the mounts would align. I might need to try that some time.

Reactions: cafe100mph

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I am considering parting this GL500 out, or picking up a rough CX and having this for backup parts (because ordering parts from ebay get VERY expensive.)

Carbs are %100 the same?
suspension is different
front rim is the same
rear is 16'' on GL
air box is the same?

View attachment 211101
FWIW...I once queried if a 82 euro would be a good spares bike for a std Cdi Cx....the answer was no....apart from engine bits...are you asking bout early std Cxs or the Deluxe?

·
Registered
320 Posts

Carbs are %100 the same?
suspension is different
front rim is the same
rear is 16'' on GL
air box is the same?
Surprisingly, most of those parts do not interchange. here's my recap from this past year when I had both an '82 GL and an '80 CX Deluxe. It will also depend on which CX you pick up, Deluxe, early Custom, late custom, etc.
Intake manifolds - nope, different carb spacing means different intake manifolds.
Carbs - Sort of. the spacing between the two is different, but you could use GL carbs on a CX if you use the CX racks, transfer tubes, etc. I mixed and matched a CX left carb with a GL right carbs to solve a damaged carb body.
Front Fender - Nope, if memory serves. The mounting points are different. I tried to use a spare GL fender on a CX and couldn't.
Exhaust system - Sort of. The headers can be swapped, but the hbox, heat shields, and mufflers cannot.
Airbox - Nope, different.

·
Registered
1981 CBX - Nowhere near stock, 1982 CX500T
16 Posts
If you pull up Partzilla, make, year, model then the part in question, click on the part number and it will show you on what other Honda it was used. Keep in mind the "color" (paint or plating) will be another part number. But, like a fender for example, search the fork lower (attachment) and tire size (diameter) on similar bikes to give you the idea for crossfit.
This is one way I'm checking to see if this stash of CX500 engine parts I'm offering, work on my turbo project. (most don't.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts