Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and searched but I could not quite find an answer to my question. It seems that the 1982 cx500 has a bigger tank. So I ASSUME that 78-81 will fit on my 1982 but I really have no idea.

Just looking for a tank to replace my leaky one that i patched but I don't know that it will hold up.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Well isn't this a good question.

The coils on the 82 are sideways giving it a hair more room for actual gas in the tank. The 79-81 has dents in the underside to work with coils tucked under them.

Since your coils aren't where the other years have their coils you should be good to go with 79-81 tanks. But beware the earlier tanks take a smaller petcock than the 81/82.

I actually have a widened 82 tank on my 79 and it took a bit of mods.

The left tank in the picture is an 82.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thank you. I finally ended up seeing something listed as an 82 tank on ebay and bought it up a few moments ago. It looks like the tank I have so I hope it actually fits.

I saw a lot of other tanks but I wasn't sure what would fit. Also I don't want to wait days just to bid (since I will have to wait a week for shipping) so finding a buy it now was important.

Now hopefully this tank sealer will hold until I get the new one

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
This quote threw me off.....

it seems that the 1982 cx500 has a bigger tank. So I ASSUME that 78-81 will fit on my 1982 but I really have no idea.

Remember, in 82 the Custom had a smaller tank, just shy of 3 gallons.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
This quote threw me off.....

Remember, in 82 the Custom had a smaller tank, just shy of 3 gallons.

Actually for Customs you have that backwards.

The earlier tanks were 2.9 gallons and the 82 was 3.2 gallons. The pucker factor of using 3.2 gallons is enough to scare the both of us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.