Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda CX650C with Murray's Carbs and stock exhaust for now
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw this video of a CX650 that sounds similar to a muscle car. I want to get a sound like this bike has at open throttle. I already have murray's carbs on the way and plan to nix the H box. I would just order the peashooter mufflers the guy in the video links to, but it appears they are no longer available. (Link below to video)

The Pure Sound of my Honda CX Cafe Racer

Basically I have zero knowledge of exhaust things, so any help figuring out how to create this would be helpful!

Edit: If anyone wants to send me clips of their exhaust sound/setup, I would love to be more familiar with what these bikes can sound like.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
If you want more mid-range consider a legally-baffled 2 into1....(good ol' Brit bike sound)
If using a 2 into 2 as the video, some baffling still needed...

The note in the posted video reminds me of the baked beans scene in Blazing Saddles.... (maybe in real life sounds better)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The guy actually lists the exhaust in the video description

Anything with a louvred baffle will make it sound like that I've found. I have shorty emgo mufflers (cheap as) but with an eBay louvred baffle and some proper packing, they sound similar to this.

Murray's carbs will burble on overrun like in the video but not quite as much, I leaned out my air screw to get rid of it.

Just a heads up though, while it's not Harley straight pipe loud, you'll find yourself needing earplugs on the highway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy actually lists the exhaust in the video description

Anything with a louvred baffle will make it sound like that I've found. I have shorty emgo mufflers (cheap as) but with an eBay louvred baffle and some proper packing, they sound similar to this.

Murray's carbs will burble on overrun like in the video but not quite as much, I leaned out my air screw to get rid of it.

Just a heads up though, while it's not Harley straight pipe loud, you'll find yourself needing earplugs on the highway.
Yeah I’m hoping to avoid the pops and burbles, but get the type of sound this gets when accelerating. Is there any way to bring the volume down, or is that just a product of the baffles?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Yeah I’m hoping to avoid the pops and burbles, but get the type of sound this gets when accelerating. Is there any way to bring the volume down, or is that just a product of the baffles?
re pops and bangs...Could be air leak either at header or the muffler joint....could be fixed at the midjoin with aluminium flashing or some high temp sealant...others use teflon plumbers paste...
re the volume if it has removable baffles you could try denser packing material..looking at the advert this isnt the case..
Note the add says competition use...
This exhaust is only allowed for vehicles, the only
intended for sporting competition on the road or off-road!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,408 Posts
I hate to say it but mine sounds a lot like that these days. I lost a baffle in one of the Harley mufflers a couple of weeks ago and it is almost time to change to the GoldWing for the summer (the CX is the winter machine) so I added a lollipop baffle as a temporary fix to quiet it down a bit but it is still much louder than I like.

Remember: Loud pipes don't save lives. They just annoy your neighbours and encourage legislation to limit the allowed modifications to vehicles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate to say it but mine sounds a lot like that these days. I lost a baffle in one of the Harley mufflers a couple of weeks ago and it is almost time to change to the GoldWing for the summer (the CX is the winter machine) so I added a lollipop baffle as a temporary fix to quiet it down a bit but it is still much louder than I like.

Remember: Loud pipes don't save lives. They just annoy your neighbours and encourage legislation to limit the allowed modifications to vehicles.
Did the baffle blow out? That sounds like a wild time to just be riding then bang!
I agree, I don't want to go loud, just aiming for that type of profile to the sound. I also leave at 5:00 in the morning for work sometimes and I like my neighbors to like me too.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,408 Posts
I was running errands on it and it was OK when I arrived at my last stop but one side was loud when I started it to leave. I've been expecting one of the cheap aftermarket headers to rust through any time so I figured that was what happened and headed for home without looking. I didn't realize the baffle was gone until I rolled it back outside to look for the leak the next day.

I had another one do the same thing years ago but that time I was at speed and on the throttle when it departed and it got very loud very suddenly. I looked back expecting to see a muffler on the ground but it was only the baffle.

Winter is hard on parts you can't spray with oil........ ;-)

BTW: A lot of us use Harley mufflers because people order a new HD and have the dealer install louder ones before they even try it with the originals so the dealers sell the original ones cheap.
They are top quality items and can last a long time if you don't run them in winter. I'm hoping to replace the ones I installed on my GoldWing in '97 this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts