Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...when a stator fails.

what actually happens to the stator when it goes bad, do the windings corrode? do they wear out and lose contact? does sludge build on them?

the reason i ask is because my bike has been sitting for years until i got it out, now every time i ride it it seems a little better, like something is breaking in could be i just got a really good batch of gas i dont know

·
Super Moderator
23,401 Posts
Generally the mode of stator failure is a breakdown in the wires insulative coating, - hence the very common short to earth.

All the old failed stators I have tested have expired in this way.

The continuity test between the 3 phases would be looking for an open circuit [broken] wire so this must also be possible but I have never seen this so I'm assuming this is the less likely mode of failure.

Either way, this is not something that can repair itself.

I guess the ignition windings must also fail in a similar way.

Your bike feeling better each time you ride it may be crap working it's way through the carbs

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,447 Posts
When a stator fails gradually, the insulation breaks down between individual turns of the same wire, leading to a short-circuit within a coil. This manifests as decreased resistance found during a static test, and decreased voltage in operation.

R

1 - 4 of 4 Posts