Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, no thread-jacking on this one, we can do that on any of my other ones and I don't care at all- but this one is an idea I got from another forum, and it's rather nice. I'm sitting in one spot waiting for my back to stop hurting.. thinking and trying to find something to read, so I figured I'd start this;

What did you do to your ride today?

I'll start; I brought the tank back outside, taped off the opening to the tank and started sanding it. My back went from dull pain to sharp, stabbing pain so I stopped. Didn't even get to finish sanding. But I started. In other news (of what I've done today) the Caswell's seems to have been a success so far.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Strangely enough I rode it instead of fixing it

I did stuff all my electric stuff in my right fairing pocket instead of the left, since I got a locking cover for the left side, I can leave my Ipod in there on the charger and not worry about it walking away.

Also put on the little crank case breather tube finally after getting the part form a forum member.

Mike

·
Registered
583 Posts
Replaced a leaking valve cover gasket, but mostly just RODE!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I rode 125 miles today, then dropped it on it's side for the first time ever. Did I mention that I'm living like a gypsy on my GL650 for a week? 375 miles in the past two days. Now sitting by a campfire in southern ohio for the night.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tightened up the headlight adjuster as it had come off mid ride. Luckily it stayed on the bike and I didn`t lose it. Also put more air in the mono shock. I must have gained a few pounds as I thought the ride was a little bumpier than usual. Nothing major but as yuou know there is always something to do.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you rode it instead of working on it, that's fine too.... but tell us about your ride. Find one or two things about your ride ON your ride and share it with us, please. Crsh- where are you going? Visiting family? How did you drop it?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Removed headers an old exhaust gaskets. Prepped for 2-1 install.

Removed radiator again to install my thermal switch for the electric fan mod I did last Saturday.

Looked at the rear and tried to figure out how to hide the damn electrics under part of the frame where my new fiberglass seat pan will sit.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I rode 125 miles today, then dropped it on it's side for the first time ever. Did I mention that I'm living like a gypsy on my GL650 for a week? 375 miles in the past two days. Now sitting by a campfire in southern ohio for the night.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Added some oil to top it off. Re-attached the bicycle mount for the Garmin eTrex to the handle bar so I can use the GPS on the bike. Made minor adjustments to the idle stop screw (need to verify the tach is accurate - it slowly comes up after starting the bike, then works fine). Checked the tire pressure.

edit: forgot to add that she needed fuel - 2.9 gallons & 143 miles = 49.3 mpg

Then I rode to do some errands and on the way back home rode a different route and found some nice back roads I have been wanting to check out and ride. Got in about 80 miles round trip.

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
8am: Key in, power on, tap start button, purrrrrrrrrrrr, kickstand up, roll out and head to my usual JITB, wave at a few seemingly regular guys on their rides on the way like normal, key off, order, look back at cute bike in lot, grab bag and a few extra ketchups and napkins, bag in backpack, key in, bump button again, purrrrrrrrrrr, finish smoke at stop light, hit work parking lot by 8:24am.

5:33, key in, power on, tap button again, purrrrrrrrrr, sunglasses on, remember to use lens wipe on visor, tuck empty wrapper in pocket, light up a smoke, exit lot, cross that damn windy bridge again, cussing at a few really stupid idiots on phones and such, slow down a bit for that asswipe with the loose trash load ahead of me, find opening and GLOVE IT OUT, top out the speedo in a flash, back off cuz notice a cop, flip modular visor up and wipe brow, yikes, notice odometer, change lane to get to my normal gas stop, fill up on center stand, 2.214 gal/100.5 miles, frown at mileage, reset odo, key in, button, purrrrrrrr, last 1.1 mile, push garage door opener button, kickstand down and key off at 6:15.

Just another day in the life. Gratefully safe.

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Today started at 7am. Switched on the coffee pot and came out to the garage for another days work on a GL500I that I'm restoring even though it didn't really need it. Anal for perfection I guess. Checked out the forum and emails. Got the first cup of coffee and started in on the rear fender and tail light assemblies. All polished up, I moved on to the saddle bag bars and lock assemblies. Since the PO bent and sanded the handles I set out to put another set together. With the back end done and all the parts shinny and bright it was time to polish all those factory aluminum straps and put them back on to hold the wiring harness in place. Compared all the correct placings with the pictures I took before dismantling the bike for it's face lift and polish.

Went in and took a nap for an hour. Mowed the lawn and pulled a few weeds before I went back to work on the bike. Done with that, I filled it with oil and coolant mix making sure not to spill a single drop on the new shinny motor. Turned on the key and cranked the engine until the oil light went off. I then hung up the fuel bottle and fired it up for the first time in 3 weeks that it took to do the restoration. Sounded great and was idling down to 1100 rpm in about 30 seconds. Sat back and listened to the motor purr. It's a sweet sound with only 11K on it. Nice and quiet, but snappy. Had to shut it off though because I had paused the movie my son was watching out here with me. Spirit Of The Forrest. Gatta love the new cartoon movies. Next in line is to bleed the front brakes tonight so they can settle for the night with the brake lever tied down.

Just another normal day here.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I went around the bike checking all the nuts and bolts I've had off in the last week from installing new rear tire and front tire and head bearings.....I figured after a 100 miles or so it might be a good idea to check them all again just to be sure I/we got them all tight and they stayed that way....they were all fine !

BUT THEN to my total dismay I noticed there was still a finger print on the r/h fork from Roger and I replacing the head bearings and changing the fork oil....I thought I got all the finger prints cleaned off on Saturday nite after I got home but I missed one so I just had to clean it off or I never would have been able to sleep last nite........NOW I can relax.

·
Registered
209 Posts
5:33, got to parents and un boxed tires from dennis kirk. Used the car, jack, and some pieces of scrap wood to break the beads. See other thread for descriptive war with 27 year old tires.

Got home with only 13 miles but no helemt, yellow safety glasses, and being dark I wasn't digging it.

This morning I adjusted the rear again, and cechked gas. Pulling parts at the junkyard with a friend and then riding for a few hours. Plus, I get to try his 2000 R1!! Can't wait to ride the 500 though

·
Registered
835 Posts
Got up 5:50 am, fed the dog, let the cats outside, made coffee. Usual morning stuff - then made lunch, packed knapsack, checked the weather - sunny day - taking the DN. Uncovered the bike mounted the gps (also works to monitor fuel, cell-phone, and mp3 player
went back inside to finish coffee and wake the kid. Let the dog outside - she chased a squirrel.

6:30 got aboard the starship DN-01 and accellerated out of the drive - off to work. approaching light speed - arrived at work... sat down, and signed onto chopper charles website (a must prior to actual work!)

9:05 found a thread that requested what I was doing today - no fixing... just commuting to work (the best part of my day!)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I uncovered it over the weekend to try to work on the headlight issue, but alas, had no time to do anything further. Covered it back up this morning and she will probably stay there until I have the time to put it in storage.

Dan

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I left a noseprint on the garage window as I gazed longingly at the bike I can't ride yet.... so.. I looked at my bike this morning- hopefully will be able to work on it today

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
yesterday reinstalled my old wind screen

last saterday installed a new rear tire by my self

tonight i go to the local bike night

tomorrow is my club meeting

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've scraped, started sanding, and primering the tank again..... that was my accomplishment today

1 - 20 of 127 Posts