Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there, long time viewer,first time caller.

So I'm at the gas station putting $10.00 into my CX650E when a guy comments how nice it is to see an old one on the road.

I smile like an idiot thinking he's talking about me while he goes on to say he has one like it in his brother's basement.

His brother lives next door to him and Oh Ya its a TURBO. CX650TURBO.

The smile left my face and I got his address. I used to live a block away. Now I'm only 5 minutes away .

I'm going to try to see it this weekend.

Now, I've had my E a few years and am comfortable wrenching on it to all degrees.

My question really is what should I look for on this basement dweller that I may be unaware of given my CX experience and lack of Turbo details?

I'm pretty sure we won't be starting it up.

Don't know where this is heading, but when a door opens sometimes you just gotta go see what is on the other side.

I appreciate any advice.

Stan

·
Registered
124 Posts
Stan

I own one and would have another (bookends) in a hearbeat. Wonderfull bike ,fits me well. They can be a pain , they are complicated compared to normally aspirated 650's. If you can repair and maintain it on your own it's a joy. It's like your 650E on steroids if you want it to be. Parts can be expensive but people on this forum can help a lot.

If it has not been run for a while you have a bucket list of things to do. Read these forums ,very helpfull. I'm sure some other folks will have some good suggestions.

When I got mine ,it had not been run for 8 years- brakes were seized - needed complete rebuild. Check and- replace fluids . The stator was a week point on these bikes ,so very important to check it.

Good luck !

Bofud

·
Registered
86 Posts
After buying quite a few bikes, both street and dirt I can tell you the following generalities:

-it will take more time and more money than what you originally anticipate to get the bike back on the road. Moral of the story? DO NOT overpay for the bike.

-owner should have a free and clear title to the bike, ready to transfer. Do not buy the bike and "hope" the current owner can "find or replace" the "missing" title. I can tell you more than a few stories about getting title problems straightened out. I never lost a bike due to title problems, but I have spent more money and time than I wanted in order to get title problem fixed. No title that is free and clear, no deal (unless they are giving the bike to you).

-gas tank rust is a real pain and can be expensive to fix. So if the tank has rust, think $$$$$$$$$$$ to repair

-tires will need to be replaced, the brakes will be frozen and the battery will be dead, air filter probably dry rotted, full engine service will be needed. If the bike has over 15k miles on it that stator WILL be toast, if not now, with a few miles down the road. Don't ask me how I know this, experience is a good and sometimes costly teacher. I bet dollars to donuts that the front forks leak and the suspension will need to be greased. No way around that. Coolant will need to be changed out.

-make sure the major parts are all with the bike. Finding "missing" parts especially fairing or other body parts can be expensive and time consuming.

-if you are buying a non running bike, pay non running bike prices. Yes, a running CX650 TC is excellent and running condition can bring $6k plus in sales price. If you are buying a bike that is not running it can take significant money to get the bike back in running condition, much less road worthy condition. Once again, don't let your emotions get a head of the real dollars and cents of getting one of these bike back on the road.

I really enjoy my CX650 TC, I think the overall running package leaves the CX500TC in the dust. Engine power and ergonomics are much better. Bad news, parts are much more difficult to find for the 650. When looking at the bike you should quickly decide if the bike is going to be in good enough core condition to repair/restore and ride OR time to part the bike out.

I hope the bike is in good condition and you can make a deal with the current owner and get the bike going.

Good luck and this board has been very helpful in getting my 500/650 back on the road.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Koolstrike's very comprehensive reply covers 99% of what to expect, along with some sage advice. The only thing that I would add is, if you have the time and funds to really reclaim this bike, you already have the biggest advantage and that is a bike that is already running for you to ride. It's just like a cowboy with an old horse - always have two.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. On my CX650E I've done the front fork seals, all brake calipers and master cylinders, replaced the Pro Link with one with grease fittings, rebuilt the carbs, and am in the process of preparing spare heads for a valve head replacement. I am no stranger to this bike or it to me, but the TURBO thing ...

I only know like wastegate and fast. I'll search the turbo forum for more clues.

Anyway, here's what my E looked like when I first picked it up, and the second pic is how it looks now. You may notice it changed magically from white to black.

The final version has contributions from 7 different Donor CX650E's

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Went by at supper time and met Derek, the owner since new. He loves it and is aware of its needs. It has 22,000 KM and has been carefully stored for the last 7 years and not ridden in 10. He has ambitions of putting it back on the road and I seem to have found a riding buddy 2 minutes from home. I'll encourage his participation here on the forum and perhaps help document his resurrection of a CX650T .

Stan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.