Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to have my CX500 Custom tank repainted. I'd like to keep it the original color (but swap to a Yamaha badge) and I'm wondering what color scheme this is. I'm thinking candy bourgogne red, but most I see with this, have the dark/light parts inverted. Anyone know?

·
Super Moderator
20,956 Posts
It's not candy bourgogne red. I've just obtained a sample of that one to get paint mixed for a CX I'm about to spray. Nor is it candy presto red as that is a bright red.

Yours must be the last remaining red - candy plum red - R -106C- U.

·
Super Moderator
20,956 Posts
I've just looked through the whole CX range year by year and don't see candy muse red at all. I think it was a GL colour.

But that doesn't mean your bikes tank wasn't painted in that colour somewhere along the line.

I still think it's candy plum red as this always looks brown to me.

·
Super Moderator
14,551 Posts
You don't have any thing else on that bike that is the same colour so instead of messing around trying to figure out the original paint colour (which will be different from one that has had 4 decades for the paint to fade and the clear coat to yellow anyway) get your painter to find a colour in his sample book that is close and have him use that.
Or better yet, paint is very expensive and he won't need much to paint just one tank so see if he can mix something close enough from ends left over from bigger jobs. My buddy with the body repair shop tells me he often has to do that kind of thing in order for touch ups to match the fades/yellowed original anyway so your guy should be able to come close.

·
Super Moderator
3,999 Posts
I'm curious as to when the CX tank was put on the Yahama.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm curious as to when the CX tank was put on the Yahama.
The bike started out as a Yamaha TR1 (euro XV920) just like this:

I rebuild it with spoked wheels (rear is actually also Honda - from a CB750), new seat, early R6 forks etc. and wanted a different tank also. Many people throw on a Benelli Mojave fuel tank, but I wanted something different. The CX500 tank has a nice broad tunnel that fits the wide pressed steel frame of the Yamaha. I ended up really liking the tanks whole color scheme, so that is why I wanted it repainted the same.

I will probably end up going with something that might not be original but just similar as Sidecar bob suggested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts