Honda CX 500 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Fixed the fan/cam shaft oil leak on my son's bike... Here is another tip for pulling the fan: Use a M14x1.5 tap if the threads are in ruff shape like this bike.
After I get David's GL650, I'll have to fix the same leak.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Following the rules. On our dog walk today, we wore our homemade masks Jean, my wife, made, not the N95 I have that I use in the shop. Sometimes people don't keep 6 feet distance, so we cross the street or walk into the street.
Guy in a Pimped out Chrysler, playing over driven speakers that were making the windows vibrate, turned the sound down, rolled his window down, so I could hear him shout something derogatory about the masks.
These types, tend to be afraid of big dogs and aren't likely to approach. (They don't know she's a big teddy bear.) But it made me think I better wear my mask whenever I am out in support of people who really should be wearing them.

View attachment 199633
Just curious, why don't you use your N95 masks?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Remember the UK/US glossaries in Haynes manuals? Canadians use an odd mixture of terms, some from each side. It seems to me that we use more US terms than Australians and you use more UK terms than we do.

Canada & Australia have a lot in common but we probably have more in common with New Zealand because both are English speaking countries that live in the cultural shadow of much larger (population wise*) English speaking neighbours. Because of that Canadians tend to understand US culture a lot more than Americans understand ours (unless they live near enough to the border to watch our TV). But with more international dialog on forums like this we are all exposed to more of our differences & similarities and given the opportunity to learn from them.

Most people don't remember these days but one of the main reasons for Confederation (the joining together of the British colonies that became Canada) was fear that the America might try to invade us again like it did during the War of 1812. Because of that there is a strong thread in Canadian culture of celebrating the ways we are different from (better than?) the US, one of which is that we know the proper way to spell words that Yanks (to us this applies to all of you, not just those from one area) are not taught to spell correctly.
And I won't even start on why our Beer is better (every Canadian knows why American beer is like making love on a dock) ;)
Bob, I don’t believe that you are a true Canadian. I have never seen you once say “eh”. ?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Just curious, why don't you use your N95 masks?
I did tonight, under the fabric mask. Used as covers over the K95s, helps K95s last longer.
Kinda want to save them for grocery shopping, where it is difficult to keep 6' distance because of the aisles and impossible at the check-out.
Got more KN95s ordered from AliExpress. Mostly to give to vulnerable neighbors.
Jean made her masks from a hospital's instructions and are about N65, so pretty good for outside. I've ordered 2000m of elastic cord so she can make more and we can teach others how.

·
Super Moderator
13,423 Posts
Bob, I don’t believe that you are a true Canadian. I have never seen you once say “eh”. ?
We don't normally write it down but when we speak we just drop it in whenever we feel we need an extra syllable :rolleyes:
I think "eh" is another spelling of "er" as used in Superman comics in the '60s. I know Metropolis was supposed to be in the US but Superman arrived there via Canada (created by Joe Shuster from Toronto)...(y)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
in Australia we are "self-isolating". Though this varies across states (=counties) in how this is enforced we are generally accessing essential services only. I am still working (health field), but sourced a U.S. model 1979 CB750K (the DOHC version) which I'm slowly sourcing parts for the refurbishment at days end.....many parts like brake pistons/seals are not available locally.....its helping to keep me focussed-though I'm starting to feel parts-fiche overload.....

Stay safe everyone....

·
Super Moderator
15,327 Posts
You are mixing Bob up with Minnesotan, Eh?
Or a Yooper?

View attachment 199639
Yoopers write it down because if it's worth saying it's worth writing. Some of the other words that go with it may look like hieroglyphics but Aino, Toivo and all those Lahti's say eh.
Proud Yooper married to a Troll.

·
Super Moderator
13,423 Posts
Okay, maybe you’re a little Canadian. ? As far as American beer, you need to try one from one of our millions of micro breweries. I find I really like the micro brews from the small towns the best!
Actually, most of the stuff made by the large commercial breweries on both sides of the border is pretty worthless while the stuff from the smaller operations tends to be much better. I've been making do with store bought the last few years but I was planning to start making my own this year with ingredients (kits at least in the beginning) from a you-brew but that may not happen for a while.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I'm just in from the garage where I had to investigate front brake light switch failure. Turned out to be a loose connector. Contact cleaner spray and a gentle squeeze with needle nose pliers and the brake light is functioning properly again, eh.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lovely warm and clear day in the UK so the CX was pulled out of the garage and working from the tail light forward I split all the electrical connectors, bit of contact cleaner applied to the block connectors and wire wool on any other connectors that could be accessed. Most looked really good, not bad after up to 38 years in place! Ended up cleaning lots of other parts of the frame as well and so have have left the headlamp and the rats nest of wiring until tomorrow. Only slight concern was that the horn did not work again after cleaning the spade connectors, but I am hoping that was because the engine was not running. Not worrying, if it is not working not another task will be added to the list.

Sidecar Bob; spelling colour with a 'u' is still very much the UK norm. The curse of spell checkers and predictive text, used by lazy writers are the reason why the 'u' gets dropped!

·
Registered
42 Posts
For some reason I have a soft spot for superstitions and useless gimmicks when it comes to my bike, so I installed a traffic light trigger magnet this morning. Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to remount my gremlin bell.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Doing more yardwork than I ever have before, find myself going out in the yard and just standing there, or wandering around, looking for things needing doing, realized how much I have let go over the years, raked all the thatch, picked up all the little sticks, got out the leafblower and re-did the back yard, might mow for the first time later today, could clean the gutters again, lay down more mulch, this is getting crazy.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Lucked out and went for a ride, bought gas for 89.9 cents a litre. Seems like forever since it's been under a buck . Figured I should spoil myself after spending three hours mowing grass on a John Deere ,some day I hope J D learns to build a mower with suspenion.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Doing more yardwork than I ever have before, find myself going out in the yard and just standing there, or wandering around, looking for things needing doing, realized how much I have let go over the years, raked all the thatch, picked up all the little sticks, got out the leafblower and re-did the back yard, might mow for the first time later today, could clean the gutters again, lay down more mulch, this is getting crazy.
What's yard work. Still doing 50 hrs a week on road. Went to the cabin w/ my 2 lady's on Sat/Sun. Did not interact w anyone. Wife hiked with the dog. Daughter and I were stay at home. Did some ice and snow removal. Have 2 broken vent pipes on roof. S--t happens.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The street sweeper picked up about half of the sand on our newly asphalted alley. Enough to get the bike out safely. Will ride if it doesn't rain tomorrow.

·
Registered
222 Posts
what make/model is that bike? looks like it's seen its share of miles too
It's in my Sig. MZ ETZ251. I can't say enough about my experiences and where I have been with this bike or how far. So I won't even start. I can just say. The DDR knew how to make bikes out of material that lasted..

However.. Replaced the rear struts yesterday with spares I had, after I noticed one was leaking..

I also cleaned all the electrics the other day..

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm still having trouble getting that dang BMW F650 to run right. The right carb leaks, even after a float adjustment so it's time for gaskets there. The thermostat seal is leaking, so another gasket. It also dies when the throttle is twisted quickly, always off idle sometimes at speed. It was as cheap as my GL500, so I can't complain really.

I don't have gloves, so I look like a black finger from Mad Max.

Made some Irish soda bread and vegetable beef soup to go along with it. Pretty fantastic stuff.

Brought home a couple of trashed bicycles last fall. My 10 year old son is on the cusp of needing a larger bike, so I tore them both apart and made one good bike. Not bad for the price of free. He's not quite confident in the larger size, so he's just been going around the yard and still taking his old one on the trails.

81 - 100 of 295 Posts