Honda CX 500 Forum banner

301 - 320 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
My latest project. Non bike related.
Yesterday I started resurfacing our community dock at the cabin. Getting power near enough was an issue. The nearest neighbors never responded to request to plug in so I looked into generator rentals. Local place was $300 for a week. Found a used one on CL for $225. Guess what I did. So the 3.5k generator will power both the chop saw and drill w/ no problem. Got a late start yesterday and only had about 5 hrs in. The tear off of the 30 yr old Doug fir was a Bit_h.

That's where I ended yesterday.got an early start today but found myself at the water line w a storm rolling in. No need to fry myself while on vacation.

Looks like I'm about 100 lineal ft short of my goal w/ redwood. Bummer

Attachments

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Well here it is about 3x cost. And it gets really hot in all day Sun. Was a community decision.

On another note wife just called from home after getting hit by a car. I made her go to ER and fill out an accident report at work (hospital) where it happened. May have to head home early? A doctor not watching where he was going

·
Registered
584 Posts
Bummer, sorry to hear that nolimitz, glad she's ok. The redwood looks great BTW.

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
I've been working on my golf game. Unfortunately there is no sign or hope of improvement.

I replaced the alternator and drive belt on my 1992 Geo Metro Turbo convertible. Nice to hear it run again after a year sitting. Fired right up! Now to get on to the floor and rocker panel repairs. Time to brush up on my MIG skills.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
My carb rebuild kits finally came from China today so was able to finish up the carb bank on my VF500F Interceptor that had a small gas leak that I think came from one of the carb bowl gaskets. See ? China is good for something after all. Also replaced the bowl screws with 3mm Allen head bolts. Getting one of the bowls off was impossible until I got out the Dremel and shaved a fraction of a millimeter off the adjacent carb body. Very tight spaces. Also had to remove the entire carb bank and do the job on the kitchen table. Almost like working on a Swiss watch. So now the carbs are back in and I can test fire it up. This bike has the little V4 engine that is cousin to the 700 and 1100 size popular in the 80's.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I am

I’m curious about this too. I would like to get a smaller adventure style bike someday. From a price point I really like the new cb500x.
I've looked at the CB500x too. Also the NC750x. I lean in the direction of the NC because I'd like it for touring, not dirt ( the same reason I wanted a GL650 to go with my GL500.)

The Hunter Cub also has some appeal. Better than a scooter, can go on a hitch carrier and can go on dirt and ride it when other bigs are too big for you.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
After two weeks of being drafted as a 311 operator, now I am an Early Election Deputy for the City Of Minneapolis registering and handing out ballots for early voting.

·
Super Moderator
13,729 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Thumper didn't mention stainless.
I've wondered about the galvanic issue when people install stainless fastener kits in an aluminum engine. Seems like an unnecessary risk.
I have plain steel Allen screws on my carbs bowls, for the obvious convenience, but I only tighten them gripping the short lever of the wrench.

Randall

·
Super Moderator
13,729 Posts
I have been known to expound on why stainless and aluminum should never be used together. It was only theory to me until I forgot and attached the aluminum license plate to Eccles with stainless nuts, bolts & washers. The aluminum was eaten so badly in 1 winter that I had to start using fender washers...

The other thing I dislike about allen screws is that the recesses in their heads collect dirt & debris that looks bad and has to be cleaned out before removing them. I much prefer regular hex head screws when it is possible to use them (I think the M6 with 8mm head ones Honda used on engines are far superior to allen screws) but when they aren't JIS screws with the proper driver work well.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The spaces around the screws are so tight you literally cannot get a small socket in there to tighten the little bolts, so as I was standing there at Ace Hardware I decided to get the black Allen heads with dull finish, which are not stainless, instead of the little hex head bolts which they also had. Actually they only had 12 dull black ones so I did get 4 shiny chrome looking, probably stainless ones, which I used one per carb. For tightening I used a Allen wrench, snugged them tight, waited a while for the rubber gasket to compress, then tweaked them once more. No over-tightening there. It's unlikely the bike will ever see a raindrop so galvanic action risk is minimal.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
The other thing I dislike about allen screws is that the recesses in their heads collect dirt & debris that looks bad and has to be cleaned out before removing them.
The inverted heads of the bowl screws aren't a problem in that regard.
The only other one I've replaced with an Allen head is the slightly larger screw that secures the cable bracket to the left carb. Removing that bracket, I can fit both carbs in my ultrasonic cleaner without separating them. But, without separating the carbs, there's too little access to remove that screw with a regular driver.

Randall

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Two things I've learned regarding the black colored fasteners.
First, the ultrasonic cleaner will strip off the oxide finish and allow them to rust. Second, EvapoRust or Metal Rescue will restore the black oxide on the surface.

Randall

·
Super Moderator
13,729 Posts
You can test to see if they are stainless with a magnet. Stainless is not attracted to magnets as much as mild steel.

Black oxide fasteners will rust once the oil applied to prevent rusting is washed away. Black zinc works as well as any other zinc.
On mine the allen heads would fill up even on the carbs. I know because I did try black oxide Allens in the carbs once. When a float valve stuck undoing those Allens with the carbs in place was almost as much work as pulling the carbs so I went back to zinc plated JIS heads.

301 - 320 of 327 Posts