Honda CX 500 Forum banner

281 - 300 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Traditionally, in Japan, they prefered to work with green wood. The best is the wood that was grown on the property where the building is to be built. That's what my contractor landlord told me.

Best way to stay in a job in these times is to be self employed. I've self employed for 35 years. Best Boss I have ever had!

For the first time in 20 years, I am punching a time clock for the City of Minneapolis as an Early Election Deputy. It is seasonal, started the same month I got my first S.S. check. Our Director and supervisors are great. Out of about 50 employees, I got the first commendation, simply because I am enthusiastic about registering people to vote and am not afraid of dirty jobs. I may be one of the only "blue collar types" in the department.
There is nothing like registering an 18 year old or a new citizen to vote for the first time.
It is a great retirement job. About 1/3rd of my fellow workers are older folks, and 1/3rd college kids. Mostly women.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Self employed has it's advantages, prefer to fire the bad customers than get laid off or fired because of them. Been self employed since 2006 best thing I've done.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Thread is about what are you doing while under quarintine, well new pads and rotors on the bike, cleaned up the wiring in fairing ,took some of the crap out of the trunk. Stripped it to frame and pressure washed bike and greased it. Now time to go riding.

·
Super Moderator
13,778 Posts
They have opened garden centres and hardware stores here this weekend, just in time for me to finish my big project.

Here's what the original deck looked like 3 years ago before I levelled it & replaced the stairs

The new & improved version

Between the fence, the other odds & ends and sorting & re-piling the old wood it will be at least another week before this job is really finished, though.

Bike related: I ordered the new tire & tube for the rear of Mr.H yesterday too. I prefer to buy tires from the local Honda guys when I can but they are closed for the duration so I went online and had to look at a few places before I found someone that had Shinko 240s in stock, and even they didn't have the blackwalls so I had to choose between the whitewall or the double whitewall.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yesterday, I stopped at the local ACE Hardware after transfering the title and getting plates for Fafnir, the GL650. All the aisles were one-way with a worker directing you and showing me where the licenses fasteners were. All the workers wore a mask and there was plexi at the cashiers checkout. If all stores were this efficient, more could open,
Ordered a Sigmas Tek AGM battery from Battery Sharks like I have in the GL500 LIttleWing. Arrived today. The battery and Battery Shark was recommended to me here almost two years ago. Littlewing started right up this spring. I didn't start her all winter and did not remove or trickle the battery.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
I took the old girl out for a ride in the country today to check on the unoccupied family farm. Even did a little light off-roading on the tractor lane to reach some of the fields.
IMG_20200509_122253208.jpg
Next, I need to remove the GL1100 air shocks to rehab the boots, Shep the weeping mech seal, and finally clean the carbs to deal with my sticking float valve. That last only happens if she sits for several days. Given the current situation, that's become more of a problem. Oh, and this spring's oil change still needs to happen.

Randall

·
Administrator
1,556 Posts
This weekend I:

• Put a stubby front bumper kit on my Wrangler, to fix the crash damage from the prius that changed lanes into me 2 months ago
  • Put new fender flares on for the same reason. Total cost: Under $200. His Prius was jacked with extensive sheet metal damage. Mwa-hahaha. I win, hipster douche!
  • Put a new capacitor in one of my DCM QED speakers, then repaired all the damage it took to remove the RTV'ed-in drivers, sanded the end caps, put walnut edge banding around the endcaps, then stained the endcaps, and finally painted the body. One more coat of stain and the new sock installed is all it needs.
  • Repaired a Black & Decker 7404 finishing sander from the mid 70s. It was choked with drywall dust that had turned to concrete from beign stored in a hot humid attic. Cleaned the brushes, switch, and all electrical contacts, lubed the bearings, and it purrs nicely now.
  • Rode the SCR950 and the SSR Buccaneer. Turned 10k on the Buccaneer a week or so ago.
  • Slowly buying sockets and wrenches to fill out all the socket holders in my tool boxes. Trying to replace the missing stuff with vintage from eBay, and the stuff that never came with my sets I found a very similar size and pattern of socket. Filled out the 11-22mm 1/2" drive sockets this weekend (still waiting on the 10mm), and the 10-17mm non-ratcheting stubby wrenches.
  • Got rid of 5 GL500 motors, one 1982 CX500 motor, and one GL1000 engine. Thanks Murray!
  • Grilled lamb chops, baked potato, and corn on the cob.
  • Cleaned out some junk from my mom's attic
This kind of list has been happening every weekend since this whole bullshit began. I'm getting SO MUCH DONE, it's like being single again.

Charles.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Shep the weeping mech seal,
l
Here is the weirdest thing: I put Fafnir (GL650) in the garage and Littlewing's (GL500) oil leak stopped Is she psychic? Or is it like someone told me that sometimes you have to ride a bike that has sat for a while for the seals and gaskets to ease to fit?

·
Super Moderator
3,758 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,778 Posts
Maybe it thinks if it stops marking its territory you will love it more than the new bike......

I should be moving the GoldWing from the storage shed to the garage in the next few days. I won't be surprised if Eccles either starts running better or decides to break when I do that....

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Has she run out of oil to leak??:unsure::giggle:
I check her before every ride. I also have the Murray filter adapter and a big oil filter on her that incrfeases the oil capacity, Have a gallon of Rottela ordered to give her an oil change.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Been a busy month , replaced the pickup box on my homemade trailer. Was a holy 71 toyota to a 95 S10 . Few dents on the S10 box but no rust in the bed of the box. So now can take unwanted stuff to the dump.

·
Super Moderator
13,778 Posts
The rear tire for my GoldWing that I ordered before I took it out of the shed arrived in under a week. When I got it into the garage I realized it needed a front too; The place I got the rear from didn't have so I ordered from somewhere else and it took 29 days.
I took the GW for its first ride of the year (to get the mail and home the long way - 16 Km total) Friday and drained the oil to change it when I got back. I had replaced the fan switch and topped up the cooling system so after the engine cooled I looked at the coolant level and instead of it being half an inch lower as expected it was nearly an inch higher. And I couldn't see the coolant in the rad. And one of the plugs is very clean.
I guess I'll move back into Eccles today and order a head gasket tomorrow morning.

At least I'm not bored...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Has she run out of oil to leak??:unsure::giggle:
The leak looks worse than it is. I've put in maybe a quart between last summer and this summer so far. The added capacity of the big filter and Murry's adapter gives an extra allowance.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I figured out how to put the passenger back rest/tiny carrier off the GL500 and on the GL650. I also added a pull handle to the pillion seat. The bolts from the GL500 were too big for the GL650 seat. I ended up getting 7mm and putting an extra nut behind the seat pan nut to make sure it is secure. Need to repair the upholstery on the back rest. Maybe just some silicone adhesive. It isn't for a rider, only as a backstop for stuff strapped to the pillion, including the 60 liter rolltop duffle.
Started riding to the Early Election Center. A short ride along the campus side of the river and then through campus to Hennepin where the Center is, just off of 35W. Not a very long ride, but a good unwind on the way home.

281 - 300 of 327 Posts