Honda CX 500 Forum banner

261 - 280 of 327 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,730 Posts
As I understand it, Ford wanted to buy the exclusive rights to the head design so that he could produce them exclusively for use in Ford products. That would have prevented Robertson from selling them to anyone else and effectively shut down his own plant.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I have a friend who's a service writer for a Volvo dealership, and he's on furlough. But maybe that's customer driven, rather than mandated.

Randall

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Because of service all cycle (includes bicycles-transportation) shops can be open. We control number of customers inside plus we have our park with seating & shelter on the lake.
I think all transportation is considered essential. I was happy to hear vehicle purchases in Minnesota are too. Was glad David and I didn't have to do the GL650 transaction clandestinely. I am more of an old Boy Scout than an Outlaw. ;)

I expect to be doing Early Election Deputy stuff again in June. They'll probably emphasize mail ballots, close polling places associated with retirement homes, etc and maybe extend the dates of the Early Election Center where I work. Last email said they are working on getting PPE and makin plans for social distancing. I don't know if I will deal with the public or be in the mailroom helping with the higher volume of absentee ballots.
The city EVC administration has been incredibly good to work for. I got the first commendation in my department, I think because I am so enthusiastic about registering voters, especially 18 year olds and new citizens.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
On the subject of decking, the term "Green" as regards wood generally means unseasoned or high in water content. PT wood (often southern yellow pine in the eastern USA) has been seasoned, but then is vacuum tanked to force the treatment deep into the wood, power poles are done similarly. This makes the wood "wet" again, and is usually still high in water content when retailed. It has a tendency to warp if it dries unrestrained, as in the exposed but unrestrained top of a retail lumber pile. This is why there is usually some corkscrew boards cast aside at the retail PT lumber stacks, from sun and wind on the loose top boards. Build with it before it lays around warping and let it dry restrained by fasteners and you get a pretty good end result. BUT, the plank spacing becomes wider as it dries and shrinks, so installing with an initial wide gap (3/8, 1/2") will likely produce a noticeably wider gap than that in a years time. I too have always used a large nail for spacing (the gap will increase), they're handy and don't keep dropping thru, LOL! I'd have to start with 50 carpenter pencils, I'm not quick enough to catch them. The composites I have used for their several positive characteristics are less structurally strong and require closer support spacing as a general rule (or a thicker $$ plank), or you get unsightly sagging. Like ABS or PVC plumbing pipe or plastic electrical conduit.

·
Super Moderator
13,730 Posts
You're right. That means there are 2 legitimate kinds of green lumber (freshly cut and treated with chromium copper arsenate) as well as the "eco friendly green" stuff.
I hate it when people start giving words new meanings....

Re warping PT wood: That's why I dragged it all into the garage when it arrived instead of leaving it outside and brought any pieces I hadn't fastened down back to the garage when I quit every night. The place I got it from keeps it in one of their buildings (they call them hangars) but even so it felt as wet as if it had been outside in the rain and enough steam came off the saw blade that you would have thought I was burning it, although none of the cuts had scorch marks. The floor under it was pretty wet when I got to the bottom of the pile too. And the last few planks I installed had started to twist a bit but not too much for the screws to pull straight.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a friend who's a service writer for a Volvo dealership, and he's on furlough. But maybe that's customer driven, rather than mandated.

Randall
They called me -I hadn't bugged them-they don't pay me to stand around-if it is dead I leave or busy I stay. Same franchise since the 40's 5th owner I have worked for since 1966. I work with parts manager to pick my times & hours Both of us are flexible..

·
Registered
584 Posts
you've been working at the same place for 54 years? :oops:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've worked at roughly a dozen places in approx 40 years, I hope this one is the last stop on the train ride but who knows?

·
Super Moderator
13,730 Posts
My Dad was a partner in a house building business for a few years after he got out of the army (WWII), then worked at the same place until he retired so also basically one job for his whole life too. But things were different for their generation and even more different now. People entering the workforce now expect to change jobs every 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yeah, the days of working 40 - 50 years at the same place and then a gold watch and pension have gone the way of the dodo bird...

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
My previous firm I was with 13 years. It wasn't until I made a move that I discovered how unusual that is in architecture. I'm into my fifth year at this one, and there's been a lot of staff in and out in that time.

Randall

·
Registered
584 Posts
Like Bob said, i heard the average is 3-5 years now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Next month will be 10 years where I'm at. That is the longest term at any job by 2 years. I have not only changed places of employment, but also type of work. I have remained fully employed during this pandemic, somehow 2 Kawasakis found their way to my garage. One, a KZ650LTD I sold 2 years ago to a neighbor. He gave up on it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
you've been working at the same place for 54 years? :oops:
Full or part time-4 different bldg-5 owners-all in St Paul. Late 80's computer numbered employees & customer-number base now near 200,000 I am #6-nobody left lower. Joke is I go with franchise. Many repeat customers plus once a rider hard to not come in to look so i still know many of the customers.
When they ask me how I have lasted so long at one place I tell them "work cheap & show up every day". 2nd owner ran business into ground so no dealer for little over year so was forced to get real job on survey crew for consulting engineering co. Started with new owner when shop reopened as part time eve & weekend. Added hours in 08 when housing market collapsed & engineering company walked 22 of us to vehicles.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
46 years working in the same building, 3 employers. Wired new building for North American Philips (NORELCO brand) as an electrical contractor employee in about 1974, shortly after was hired on as their industrial electrician, by the time they sold the building in 1990 I was Plant Engineer and Mfg Mgr (600 employees, 24/7 operation), got hired immediately by the new owner (actually both companies paid me for the day of the real estate closing), a privately owned aerospace and medical equipment manufacturing firm, and have been with them ever since, 30 years, still working for a while longer. Never been out of work a day in my life, had a job (early ones were part time) since I was 14, (the year my father died) now 69. IMO "find a job you love . . . " is BS. Just try to make sure the job has an upside and that you can find challenges in it, or keep one eye out for opportunities. It definitely is a plus if your employer makes a lot of money. My last year in school was 12th grade. I'm damn glad I was born when I was and in the USA. Knock on wood!

261 - 280 of 327 Posts