Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1981 Honda GL500 Silverwing.
Could someone tell me which bulbs are correct for rear turn signals? They look like they have a screw holding the bulb in place.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,601 Posts
Per the General Information section in the GL500 FSM: 12v-32cp No. 1073.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Per the General Information section in the GL500 FSM: 12v-32cp No. 1073.
I ordered those and they were wrong. Mine are small and seem to be screwed down. I will have to pull the bulb out come morning. Thanks for the response tho. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
post a pic of the lights - chances are someone has swapped aftermarket ones in the last 40 years

Reactions: Toastywolf8

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
From what i know 1073 is just a bayonet type bulb.
Yours look non-std.
I dont own a GL....but looks aftermarket/conversion to me...

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Yes, non stock. Do a search for the number printed on the bulb.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Try taking it to Autozone or one of the other auto parts stores.

Reactions: Toastywolf8

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
As per #10...just the local auto parts store should give you something that works.
In some situations, depending on wiring you may need to replace more than 1 bulb if there is not an exact match

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
That bulb is listed as being 4.9 watts, whereas the original lamp is 21-24 watts.I don't think that will be bright enough for a turn signal bulb. Can you find a higher wattage bulb in the same form factor?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Or"
  • CEC Industries #194 Bulbs, 14 V, 3.78 W, W2.1x9.5d Base, T-3.25 shape (Box of 10)
Click image to open expanded view

CEC Industries #194 Bulbs, 14 V, 3.78 W, W2.1x9.5d Base, T-3.25 shape (Box of 10)
Brand: CEC Industries
4.7 out of 5 stars 317 ratings

| 3 answered questions
Amazon'sChoicefor "house number light bulb"

Price:$4.66 & FREE Returns

Thank you for being a Prime member. Get a $150 Gift Card: Pay $0.00 upon approval for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card. No annual fee.

May be available at a lower price from other sellers, potentially without free Prime shipping.

BrandCEC Industries
Special FeatureBagged
Wattage3.8 watts
Voltage14 Volts
Item Weight0.01 Kilograms
About this item
  • Shape: T-3.25 Filament: C-2F Base: W2.1x9.5d Power: 3.78 W Voltage: 14 V
See more product details

Compare with similar items

New (11) from $4.66
Report incorrect product information.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Those bulbs are not bright enough for turn signals. These bulbs might fit the light socket but are not meant for or legal for use as turn signals or brake lights. If you can’t source proper bulbs for those turn signals I would recommend replacing the turn signals with ones that you can source the proper bulbs for.

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
65 Posts
The 194 bulbs are brighter than you’d think. In automotive applications those bulbs are commonly used for side marker lights and some makes and models utilize them as part of the signal in addition to the primary bulb that’s on the front/rear of the vehicle.

At the very least, buy one and see how bright it is with the lens on. If it’s actually not bright enough, you’re only out a couple of dollars and can keep looking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 194 bulbs are brighter than you’d think. In automotive applications those bulbs are commonly used for side marker lights and some makes and models utilize them as part of the signal in addition to the primary bulb that’s on the front/rear of the vehicle.

At the very least, buy one and see how bright it is with the lens on. If it’s actually not bright enough, you’re only out a couple of dollars and can keep looking.
I got a pack of 2. It said it was for road use. They are plenty bright enough for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts