Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1982 cx500 turbo at an estate sale about a year and a half ago as a project bike and then life happened-new job and lots more hours, etc. The guy restored bikes as a hobby until his health declined and it was his next project but he hadn’t started it yet. It ran when he got it and sat garaged 5 years before I picked it up 2 years ago. It didn’t have a battery so I’ve never tried starting it. Bought a new battery and other parts it needed (filters, handle grips and clutch and handbrake levers set since one had the knob on the end broken off, etc.) It’s now become a ‘I bit off more than I can chew’ as I’ve started to get into it. Definitely outside of my skill level even if I had the time. Had a guy who restores 80s bikes as a hobby interested in it, heard I had a turbo and practically drooled, offered sight unseen to trade a 1980 gold wing for it, knew the guy I got it from and the owner before that, knew the bike, had wanted it for years and the guy beat him to it or outbid him or something. After looking at it he’s offering a lowball of $400 as a parts bike he’ll sit on for 5-6 years until he happens to find another. I know it’s worth far more than the $400 he’s offering, all parts are there and I’ve gotten the parts to (hopefully) get running again. He’s also wanting $2,500 for the gold wing, which I test drove and while it’s repainted and pretty, mechanically it shifted really rough and wouldn’t idle. I lost count how many times it died riding a 4 mile loop, even trying to keep the throttle up it would die about half of the times I squeezed the clutch handle. Kbb puts the gold wing at $1,110 (trade in value)-$2,280 (retail) so there’s no way running that poorly it’s worth $2,500. Definitely felt like he was trying to pull one over on me, and the family name is known in the area for taking advantage of uninformed people. Offered “at most $500” for my 1980 XL500S that’s in pretty good shape- KBB lists it as $1,230-$2,730. Cosmetically it’s not as nice as the gold wing, but mechanically it runs better.

It got me wondering, what would a fair price be if I were to sell the turbo? I can’t in good conscience really go off KBB as I’ve never tried starting it, but for reference KBB lists it at $2,945-$6,260. Or would I be better off hoping for time to work on it this winter when work hopefully slows down? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Pictures and a location would help a lot. If your in Idaho, there are some members here in the Boise area that may be able to help you. You may want to post in the turbo section with a little more information in the title. 2 good front turning lens go for what he offered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pictures. Sorry that it’s dark, summer is my busy season at work and after a 13 hour day taking pictures wasn’t in the front of my brain. I’m in Rupert, since it was asked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seat, tank, and side covers are off, I thought the best place to start was fuel (clean tank, replace filter) and a new battery since it didn’t have one, then I was going to change fluids (engine oil, antifreeze, etc) and then make the first attempt to start it. I didn’t get real far, as you can see.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Your bike has had a very hard life...

Clean fuel system and get injectors flow checked. Before putting much time into the bike, check the stator. If the stator is bad, engine must come out to replace..

PK

·
Registered
582 Posts
Looks like tool box is off bike.. Fuel pump mounts to tool box. Is the fuel pump still there? Fuel pump might be froze up too?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tool box and fuel pump are there, that was where I got to and stopped. Haven’t checked the fuel pump or injectors yet.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hi, where I live the turbo CX is worth about 2 to 3 times what a Goldwing is worth. Happy restoring, there is a real good feeling you get riding a bike you fixed up yourself , never sell it though you will regret it. Cheers

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
...never sell it though you will regret it.
And realize going in that you would never recoup your investment.
But, that's not why we do this.

Randall

1 - 10 of 10 Posts