Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for a few minutes 'fore gas started running out of the right carb.

a friend gave her to me to fix up for my son-in-law. pulled the carbs and sprayed them out and cleaned the jets. sticky floats but i wanted to give it a try before sinking too much time it her. she runs! then died, but now i'll keep going. i want to strip it down to a regular silverwing. any tips on what i'll need?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Headlight/ bucket, front turn signals, Horn bracket, radiator side trim with reflectors, mirrors. This bike started life as a naked Wing, so who knows what's been done to the factory harness etc,

Oh and lots of polish!

I used generic off the shelf stuff from the local cycle store to convert one of my I's, Total was under $200.

Started like this

Finished (on left)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Interesting looking bike. Must be a cross between a GL650, CX500, and GL500. Engine appears to be a 650, or someone painted it black, single disk front brake from a CX, and maybe some parts from a GL500. If it were mine, I would take it to a car wash and soak all the greasy areas with a engine cleaner or carb cleaner and spray that bugger down good. Then do it again. I just hate to work on dirty bikes.

Then get some chrome cleaner and some 0000 steel wool and brighten up the chrome. Best way is to remove all the chrome parts and polish them off. That will also give you the opportunity to rattle can the rusty areas of the frame and center stand. Take the fairing off too. There may be someone on here looking for a fairing, and the trailer hitch is interesting. I think Blindstitch was wanting one of those. You will need a headlight and bucket and mounting ears to go naked, but that is about all. Take the luggage carrier off if you want to.

As far as the engine, deep clean those carbs again, change all fluids (oil, brake, rear drive, coolant, blinker), check the cam chain and adjust (if it is a 650 engine, it has a auto adjuster), adjust the valves, sync the carbs, check the air filter, and brake pads. Then if the tires are OK, take it for a shakedown run.

Also list your bike's model in the signature line on the profile page, and your location. Someone may be close to advise and take some of your extra parts off your hands.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Interesting looking bike. Must be a cross between a GL650, CX500, and GL500. Engine appears to be a 650, or someone painted it black, single disk front brake from a CX, and maybe some parts from a GL500.

Blue, standard GL's had only the single front brake, That's clue #1, 2nd is the HONDA badge on the fuel tank. Interstate's didn't have those. Final clue is the absence of the tail light extenders although those could easily have been removed....

Engine looks like a painted 500, the badge visible is much smaller than we have on the 650's, and different layout, like this:

I don't think a 500 badge would fit on a 650 engine, they had a different mounting style.

clutch cover also painted black.

The side fins are also quite different from 500-650.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, it's a bitsa bike. he bought it from the local junkyard many many years ago. last month we pulled it out of his barn that had damage from hurricane rita in '05. hadn't run since '04 but he drained the carbs when he put it up for the winter. yeah, i cleaned it up. a lot. then started messing with it today. pulled the carbs back off. i'll soak 'em this weekend.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Looks great!

If you plan on removing it, I'd love to buy that gauge sun guard:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the hitch is gonna come off. dunno 'bout the sun shade yet. about the rear shock...is it strictly air or air assist / spring? without air this thing wants to fall over. shock feels flat without any air.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
When you get the hitch off scuff it up with some scotch bright and spray it with some rustoleum paint and put it in the selling section. I just made a hitch a few months back but I know a few people on here would be interested.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
its a 500 thats for sure its a gl500 yep thats what it is if you look in the very first pic you can make it out

heres the pic

now then you tell me

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think I would be interested in you hitch, when/if you get ready to sell.

No prep needed. lol.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Recent (like in the last 48 hours) reverses have taken me out of the market for anything not Required to make my bike safe to ride.

So unless you still have it after the first of the year. (yeah right. lol)

I will not be able to purchase it.

Looks like they go for between $45 and $80 with about $25 shipping.

Best of luck with your ride.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Household income has dropped 65%.

Not sure if it is "OK" yet or not.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i take it you lost your job that sucks buddy i am sorry to hear that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts