Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been fishing around here, and the internet in general, but didn't find a satisfactory answer to my question. Maybe you guys can help(like you always have!). I'm trying to find out if there's another headlight and bucket that would work on the bike without me having to get all snippy/soldery on the wiring. I don't mind the mounting ears, i can take care of that, i'd just rather not cut into my already old and tired harness. I'm growing tired of the old '78 headlight fairing, and my signals died months ago, leaving me with some temporary bar mounted ones. I'd like to switch the headlight over to just a bucket/ears setup instead of what's on there now.

So basically, will another bucket/headlight swap? Like from say, a GL or CB?

thanks again

·
Registered
197 Posts
I took one off a 1980 cx500c to make mine smaller. When I bought my 79 it had a huge fairing and now it just has a small bucket and ears. Do you have a closer pic of your headlite to see what you have now? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Just about any headlight that attaches to ears will fit just fine. The real problem would be the speedo/tach and idiot lights.

I would hunt up a set of gauges for a cx with idiot lights on it. Then just cut the pigtail to the idiot lights so you can use that to hook into,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've actually got a set of (I think)Custom gauges, they should work fine, and i needed to replace my speedo anyway. My biggest concern, honestly, is the headlight wiring connector. I'm trying to find a good bucket/headlight combo with the same connector, but iwth a bucket that has a hole large enough to get the connector and all the wiring into without having to cut anything. This is the first time i've done this kind of swap before, so i'm more covering my bases with people who already know than anything.

Mind you, in the end i may just cut up the stock headlight fairing. If i lopped the old turn signal ears off, i'd like it a lot more, i'm just not very interested in doing the fiberglass work, and like the look of the bucket lights more. This is one of the main reasons i'm asking about this. I could do the modifications for little money, or i can spend $50-100 to do the swap. I'll have to figure it out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after thinking about it, measuring, and using a 750F headlight and bucket to mock things up... I think i'm going to cut the stock headlight facia down and glass and backfill it, basically lopping off the turnsignal ears. This is going to save me a lot of frustration. The only thing i don't like is that i'll probably have to keep the fake "grill" on the bottom of it because of the mounting point, or maybe i'll find a way around that. Either way, it should save me some wiring tucking frustration. Thanks for the help and tips guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I figured i'd show you guys what i decided to get myself up to, since the bucket idea fell through.

I considered cutting the ears off flat, but after cutting them down a bit, and looking at it, i decided to keep a bit of incline because i'm going to be using flush-mount LED signals, and didn't want them to be glaring or obtrusive to me while riding. Tomorrow i lay a few layers of fiberglass from behind, and bondo from the front. Should give me enough flexibility to keep things from cracking up or being an issue.

[media]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/sarcasims_ruler/Picture216.jpg[/media]

[media]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/sarcasims_ruler/Picture218-1.jpg[/media]

I'll post more tomorrow after i lay the glass. I might shave it down more, at least i was smart enough to give myself some wiggle room

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wanted to do a followup to this, and post a picture of what the new, shaven fairing looks like.

I didn't really take any pictures of the other side cause the primer cracked a bit and needs to be resprayed(no biggie, just didn't cure evenly). Now that the dopey turn signal ears are gone, it looks almost like it should have been that way from the start!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts