Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thankful for all the help and advice you all have given me in my quest to find a bike. I did finally go for one. A CX500 Custom 1979 with 12k miles. Clean. I rode it 100 miles home. Rear tire looks fresh with hairs. Front has cracks in the tread grooves -- I'll replace now. My girlfriend rode with me in the neighborhood a bit and loves it.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
5,155 Posts
Great! Enjoy!

Check the date code on the tires. Tire rubber hardens with age so tires should be replaced after they are five years or so old.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
462 Posts
Looks very nice! Did you know that Honda made their Factory Hondaline fairing mountable on all their 80s Custom models of 500cc and up? Biggest problem nowadays would be finding the factory mounting bracket, though, since very few Custom buyers opted to add the Hondaline fairing from the Honda dealer. I wonder if a GL500 Hondaline mount would fit a CX500 Custom?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wonder if a GL500 Hondaline mount would fit a CX500 Custom?
I don't believe it would, as the mounting point on the headstock isn't there on a custom frame.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Good for you, just in time for the leave to change. You still have some good rides ahead. You will save a few gray hairs with this bike. So what happen to the old 78 cx you were working on?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,275 Posts
I guess this means your first CX is now going to take its rightful place as a parts bike :rolleyes:

I know I already told you this but it's been a while so maybe you need to read it again:
Please add your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is over 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.

I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. It is good that you plan to replace the front tire but check the date code on the rear one and replace too if it is over 5 years old, even if it "looks fresh with hairs". Old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially when you lean into a turn and especially if it is cool or wet.
Your bike still has the original rubber brake line (clearly visible in the pic), which should have been replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes (= 5 or 6 years) so I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).
And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Nice. A definite plus if the lady friend likes it too. (y)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good for you, just in time for the leave to change. You still have some good rides ahead. You will save a few gray hairs with this bike. So what happen to the old 78 cx you were working on?
still in the barn! ...maybe the guy will let me use it for a parts bike? hmmm, maybe i can buy it for $100 and the barn-owner friends will let me keep it there? been there 30 yrs already what's time anyway?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts