Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
We had both.
Dunno bout Canada....but Aus in the 60s and 70s had mainly American personalities.....our media identity (proper) was probably formed in the 80s... tho we did have our live local shows like IMT, Leyland brothers etc in the 60s and 70s...
Edit...back to magnets and science....including weldin'

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I was gifted a 1986 Chicago Electric (Harbor Freight?) 120v gas mig welder today. Italian made, I found a manual online. A “Due Mig” (I kid you not!). It hums, feeds wire and has a co2 regulator. I can borrow a gas bottle I think, to play with it. Sort of like a cat with an empty cardboard box. 😁. I’m a farmyard stick welder, but that falls short on light metal. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was gifted a 1986 Chicago Electric (Harbor Freight?) 120v gas mig welder today. Italian made, I found a manual online. A “Due Mig” (I kid you not!). It hums, feeds wire and has a co2 regulator. I can borrow a gas bottle I think, to play with it. Sort of like a cat with an empty cardboard box. 😁. I’m a farmyard stick welder, but that falls short on light metal. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Nice gift. Very useful for light duty repairs and fabrication. You'll need a special Argon/Co2 welding gas for MIG but it can probably use flux-cored wire w/o the gas.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Thinking of trying flux core. Reversing polarity seems to be recommended, under the hood. My expectations are not particularly lofty. Something new to putter with.

Reactions: rcw3586

·
Registered
CX650 motor project into a CX500 Turbo Frame - ongoing
234 Posts
Thinking of trying flux core. Reversing polarity seems to be recommended, under the hood. My expectations are not particularly lofty. Something new to putter with.
Learning to weld is 90% experience, you just gotta put in the time. And money...this stuff gets expensive. The numbers (amps per material thickness, etc.) haven't really changed much. Reverse pol I think is good for keeping the heat out of the material on thin stuff. You can do really nice welding if you combine the flux and an argon/co2 mix.

My father's been welding and fabricating for 30ish years....I'm very fortunate to have him as a resource when I need info and I grew up with a Miller Goldstar in my garage. And a lathe and a lot of other stuff kids never get to play with.

I have a useless memory for data and I have to write every setting down or I'll never remember. When you find something that works, make notes. It might be a year or more before you do it again.

Youtube is a great resource if you can find actual pro advice and not some backyard hack. Even my father with that many years isn't afraid of looking up something when he comes across having to weld a new material.

If you really want to have fun, pick up a little tig machine with a foot control. Tig is so much more fun because you've got the wire in one hand, the arc in the other and a pedal to control your heat. I can spend hours dragging puddles around.

Just yesterday I welded a few nuts together to make a tool to remove Honda's axles with the 24mm allen. Probably could have done it with the mig, but the tig is great for getting a material heated up and good penetration before adding wire.

I just also find the red glow mesmerizing (that's the turbo 500 motor in the background awaiting disassembly and part out)

Plant Tableware Food Automotive tire Recipe

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Yeah, I’ve had a Lincoln A/C welder since I was 15, still use it in my shop. When another was given to me 10 years ago it went to the Vt cabin. We always had MIG at my job (manufacturing maintenance shop). My needs are simple and basic, no high end stuff in my near horizon. I have a couple of friends who are nuclear certified welders, but they aren’t much help in getting an old cheap 120 v MIG going. As long as it amuses me for cheap I’ll putter with it. I’ve read several places reversing polarity helps a lot with flux core wire, so I’ll get a spool of same, (Probably .030) cut and reconnect the leads to reverse polarity and see if it will find a home next to my welding table, or the scrap metal pile.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,398 Posts
I'm not an expert welder but I know that reversing the polarity has nothing to do with the thickness of material being welded and everything to do with whether you are using shielding gas or flux wire.

The manual for mine has a section titled Selecting Welding Polarity that says:
"Your welder comes from the factory wired for DC REVERSE POLARITY. This polarity is needed for MIG welding (with shielding gas) with solid welding wires (steel, aluminum, stainless, etc.).
When welding with flux cored, self shielding welding wire, the welding polarity must be changed to DC STRAIGHT POLARITY."
And goes on to explain how to switch the power lead and the ground cable.

As I understand it most wire feed welders have similar setups so that you can change the polarity easily by reversing where the ground clamp cable and the power feed to the gun cable are connected so I strongly advise against cutting any wires until you have read through the manual.

Dunno bout Canada....but Aus in the 60s and 70s had mainly American personalities.....our media identity (proper) was probably formed in the 80s... tho we did have our live local shows like IMT, Leyland brothers etc in the 60s and 70s...
When I was a kid we had a lot of US shows too but also a good number of Canadian ones or Canadian versions of US shows (like Romper Room).
Oddly, when our kids were young there were quite a few Australian kids shows on Canadian TV.

·
Registered
CX650 motor project into a CX500 Turbo Frame - ongoing
234 Posts
I'm not an expert welder but I know that reversing the polarity has nothing to do with the thickness of material being welded and everything to do with whether you are using shielding gas or flux wire.
Since you're not an expert let me google that for you...

Font Number Electric blue Document

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I got a sort of manual downloaded, it covers my welder and several others, so of limited utility. But it isn’t rocket science. Your comment of reversed polarity for flux core wire supports other info I have seen. Have the cover off so I know there is no switch, just direct cable connections, one of which is a crimp. Cut and reconnect reversed. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,398 Posts
Not a switch. Look for a way to undo the nuts/bolts that attach the wires to the machine and reverse the way the wires are connected.

jlb: Please post a link so that the quote can be read in context. As posted there isn't even anything to indicate that it refers to wire welding.

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,398 Posts
From what I can see that page is about arc welding, not wire feed. I'm not sure how much difference that makes but I suspect it might not relate directly to MIG and flux wire.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Thanks, the linked info was informative. Some welders have a polarity switch, mine does not. Electrode cable is bolted, plate cable is crimped. Being an electrician I can make the change. A large wirenut!
No, Bob, sit back down, I was just kidding. 😁 I’ll use a bug.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
A subsection in the link (an internal link) covered FCAW (flux core arc welding).

·
Super Moderator
18,398 Posts
Yeah, that's in the part of the page promoting their welding program so I took that to be unrelated.

If you use yellow bullet connectors you can change it back whenever you want ;-)

Isn't the crimped part bolted or maybe riveted to something?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,068 Posts
With the crimped wire connection, I wonder if your cheap MIG isn't an AC-only machine. In that case, changing the poles will make no difference.

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
21 - 40 of 54 Posts