21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,438 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
True.

But it does seem the best middle ground option.

Many people here used to leave the used oil bottle at the curb or put it in their bin. This contributes to oil on the road and garbage and garbage truck fires from spontaneous combustion.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I was just looking at a thread on another forum where someone in Italy was explaining why they always take their bike to a shop. Apparently you aren't allowed to do any of your own work, not even changing the oil. I can't imagine living somewhere like that.
Was this due to:
1. landlords not letting you do "mechanical business" (e.g. one mans hobby is another mans panel shop)....noise
2. EPA type restrictions for disposal
3.Legal liability...e.g. if you work on your bike as unqualified person and its involved in a collision

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
As I understand it, those European builds almost all come from licensed mechanics.

Europe just passed something called Right to Repair. It does not specifically relate to vehicles but I believe it includes them in some ways. As I understand it this means they will be allowed to purchase the parts they need to repair products they own instead of taking them to the manufacturer's authorized repair facility.
I have a feeling that they will try to keep vehicle repair (especially safety related things like the brakes) in the hands of the pros for liability reasons (if the government starts to allow unlicensed people to work on their own brakes and they fail someone injured in the accident could sue the government for allowing it to happen).

Hopefully one of our European members will see this and clarify what is and isn't allowed.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
As I understand it, those European builds almost all come from licensed mechanics.
Hopefully one of our European members will see this and clarify what is and isn't allowed.
Again plz back up this statement.

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
Um... The only members who participated in that thread are all from the UK, US, Australia and Canada. No Europeans in that list.
Google Brexit. The UK wouldn't stand for that kind of stuff and left the European Union.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
SO post what you really know or can back up. So far it is FAKE NEWs Lets leave the UK out of it for now. Europe is a pretty big place. Please tell how the the member links I posted are known licensed mech. Or any of the the Danes, Swedes, Russian, Polish members meet the same requirement. So far it all is "what I have read on the internet"

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
True.

But it does seem the best middle ground option.

Many people here used to leave the used oil bottle at the curb or put it in their bin. This contributes to oil on the road and garbage and garbage truck fires from spontaneous combustion.
What happened to the ole Aussie tradition of paintin' the hardwood fence with sump oil......?

(Before anyone jumps up and down...said in jest.....)

But maybe retailers say they sell oil for 'top-up" rather than changing by owners in some jurisdictions.
Interestingly if you look at most residential leases (real estate association victoria) they exclude the owner doing any maintenance aside from checking fluid levels and top up......hence my Q to Bob at #25 which he kindly responded to.

·
Registered
1984 Honda CX500 Eurosport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yup, we are a sad and depressing bunch of countries when it comes to vehicle mods and self-maintanence. The CX I own has had its frame cut in the rear. You almost never see this (legally anyway). Since it the likelihood of passing inspection is very very low.

TLD, I am very jealous of your amount of garage!

·
Registered
1984 Honda CX500 Eurosport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I can't speak for all of Europe, but I think that many of the regulations are passed on between the central European countries. But for Denmark, the main issue is inspections. The are usually pretty rigouros and if your vehicle doesn't pass, it cannot be driven until you have corrected the errors and had a reinspection. Now who corrects the errors doesn't really matter, it could be you or a licensed mechanic. The inspector doesn't care. But for the reason of inspections being hard to pass on custom bikes, many people refrain from doing any major modifications. However it is entirely possible to do a café conversion of say, a cx500 without cutting the frame. This is where most bikes fail in the inspection. If one were to cut the frame, it should be someone who knows how much and how far he can cut, and possibly where to add reinforcements elsewhere. Inspectors come down pretty hard on changes to the bikes structure. However once a structural change has passed inspection, it can be written into the bikes vehicle registration document so that it has to be "overlooked" for the next inspection. The good thing though is that my bike was inspected in November last year and I bought it in February. Bikes older than 10 years will hold inspection for 1 year. If you sell the bike within that year, the inspection will be "passed on" to the new owner. Thus if I were to sell the bike before November this year, the inspection would be passed on again. Once the inspection is older than 1 year, the bike will have to have a new inspection at point of sale.

But for general maintenance, we can do all we want ourselves to my knowledge

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
I am finding it next to impossible to find any information online about whether Europeans (and specifically Italians) are allowed to do their own vehicle repairs and modifications. The closest I can find is this page which says that they can't make modifications that are not approved by the manufacturer (which seems to indicate that aftermarket custom arts are not legal).

If you are interested here is the thread I was talking about. The part about not being allowed to do your own work in Italy starts at post #29

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
114 Posts
Hi Magborresen
Back in my younger days in the 1980 day's (left 1988)
we could not buy parts from the part store with out a PO and they would not sell to the public at all
I did my Apprenticeship at the SCANIA dealer in Haderslev and we had to use company PO for parts
and that was the only way we could get parts

Later on there was some change to the sales strategy when competition came to the country and opened parts stores with over the counter sales to the general public (That was after i left for a better place to live)
The wild West of Alberta
How ever there is a environmental concern with waste oil and other stuff that I don't know about
and that I can't comment on
I do know that they have excelent recycle stations ower there. Where they can take every thing from oil to coolant and all sort of stuff

TLD 🇨🇦 🇩🇰

21 - 37 of 37 Posts