Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Honda CX500 Eurosport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

This is my first post. So thank you for this amazing forum. In February I bought my first motorcycle, an '84 Honda CX500E. Due to administrative causes I didn't get my license until last week. So now I am finally able to ride. The MC has been rebuild into a scrambler. Seeing that it is my first bike, I didn't know a lot when I bought it. I thought it was good looking, sounded great and I had heard good things about the CX. I am now a bit wiser and were it to buy bike now, I might have chosen differently. But so be it.

But the guy I bought it from, has used some very weird levers (if you ask me they kinda look like some cheap chinese ones). The levers themselves are cool and adjustable. However there are no barrel adjuster on the clutch lever. Now on the first ride I am facing the issue of what seems to be the clutch slipping. I can rev the engine up, but it doesn't really transfer much power to the wheel. When checking the clutch freeplay I noticed that the cable is very tight and there is no freeplay what so ever at the lever. Since there are no barrel adjuster, I don't really see any why of adjustning it. There is some "spare" cable where it attaches to the clutch down at the engine. Could I just give the cable a little bit of slack by loosening it down there?
I have attached some photos below for reference.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
To start with, both nuts should be atop the post on the engine. The long nut is the adjuster, the thin nut is the locknut. Try putting thar right first, and then adjust it so there is free play at the handlebar lever. Then let us know if there's any difference.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If the clutch cable threaded end doesn’t thread into the handlebar lever then it looks like you have zero adjustment at the lever. The motor end of the cable looks to have been modified to attach to the clutch arm. As noted above you are not supposed to have a nut on the bottom of the perch. The problem here is that moving the nut to the top of the perch will make your current clutch problem worse. At minimum you need a new clutch cable. If you are keeping the clutch handle you should get a cable that will fit it. Depending on your talents you can modify a cable to meet your requirements to fit.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,069 Posts
I see an adjuster at the lever. Is that in as far as it will go?
The lock nut should be above the lower cable stay, but in this case it would make the matter worse.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
The cable has a bolt on barrel end instead of the usual cast on type. There should be 2 of the thin nuts above the stay, one for the adjustment and the other to lock it in place. If the adjuster at the lever was screwed in all the way there might be enough room above the stay for the 2 nuts but it looks like someone has modified the cable, perhaps for use with non-stock handlebars.

The "barrel adjuster" is the item I circled in green in the pic below. For initial adjustment you screw it all the way into the lever perch, then adjust the end of the cable at the end where it meets the engine. After you get the adjustment close at the bottom you can fine tune it at the lever.

Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Doesnt look like the cable is the correct one for a 500E to start with . Then the bottom perch mount is done incorrectly as pointed out previously . You will snap the perch mount off the front casting if you leave it like that . And then you have got those levers as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wauw! I am overwhelmed by all of your very responsive and helpful replies, thank you.

I was not aware that adjuster could look like that. I will try to adjust it all the way in at the lever and then readjust at the clutch. I don't think that the cable is original for the 500E either, but I am a few months late in realising it... Hopefully I can get the bike running smoothely soon. Just put on Murray's Mikuni's as well, so it runs really nice except from the clutch slip.

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
When installed according to the factory service manual with the two nuts above the perch the cable housing is free to move slightly, rock back and forth, in the perch as the clutch is operated. With the nuts one above and one below this movement is prevented.

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
FWIW, I had the nuts were on either side of the post on the engine on my GL500 when I got it and for the entire 5 years I had it and I don't know how many years they were like that on my current machine. The only difference I noticed when I changed it ti the correct 2 nuts on top was that it was easier to adjust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I managed to thread the adjuster in at the lever to get the correct play. It now seems like the clutch fully engages and the engagement point is now no longer at very end of the lever movement. So I'll keep it like this for now. Thanks all for your inputs and help! Any suggestions as to replacement levers?

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
114 Posts
hi
Hope you can make it work
You are lucky you live in times like today
back in the early day's no one in Danmark had bikes like yours
Back then there was no modifications allowed
They sure loosened up on the restrictions to modifications

What part of old Danmark are you from

TLD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Lost Dane,

I recently just got my license, so I don't really know much about how the restriction were before. But I must say that I am quite impressed that the bike made it through inspection with some of the mods it has.

I am living in Aalborg although the bike is currently at a shop i Randers getting som new fork seals. I gather that you are originally from Denmark as well?

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
114 Posts
Hi
Yes as a old Dane we all ways have a bottle of Snap's in the freezer
I was born in Sommersted and left in 1988 for a better place to live and have fun with Car's and Motorcycle's

back in the day we could only change out wheels and stuff that was factory equipment from other models
so we would not get pulled over by the cop's and send for inspection

good old days I don.t miss them

TLD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Surely a lot of things have changed since then! Don't think anyone from my generation keeps Snaps in their freezer anymore...

I see that the better place is Canada, I completely agree. I would have gone a bit more west though. I usually visit some friends in the Kootenays every year. Covid has put a pause on that though. Hope to do some riding next to I'm there.

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
I was just looking at a thread on another forum where someone in Italy was explaining why they always take their bike to a shop. Apparently you aren't allowed to do any of your own work, not even changing the oil. I can't imagine living somewhere like that.

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
114 Posts
Hi
Yes a bit more west is nicer.we have about 800-1000 km to the nice riding area in BC from where I live
That is a long day to get there from where I live just east of Edmonton
Hard ass day on the bike.Can be done

How ever the work and Wages in BC cant make up for the location by it self
Wages in Alberta is so much higher and that was the main reason I settled in Sherwood Park AB

Bob: For the maintenance and repair. Most European don't have luxury of having what we have here in Canada and north America in form of home shop's Garage's that is setup like a home shop
I know one thing I can't be with out mine Old Garage
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

TLD

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,069 Posts
I was a chaperone for my kids' marching band when they marched in Sherwood Park's Canada Day parade a couple years ago. It seemed like a nice community.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
I was just looking at a thread on another forum where someone in Italy was explaining why they always take their bike to a shop. Apparently you aren't allowed to do any of your own work, not even changing the oil. I can't imagine living somewhere like that.
Find that hard to believe?

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
From what I can find online it is true and applies to most of Europe too. I commented that they must have lawn mowers and surely you would be allowed to change the oil in them and the reply was that they are expected to take them to a licensed shop for oil changes too (I expect that is to prevent the used oil from doing environmental harm).
And we think we live in nanny states......

1 - 20 of 37 Posts