Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Rayman, thank you for the guidance, I'll try to check the voltage with the squirrely behavior.

CXPHREAK - please forgive me, but can you point me in the right direction of where/how to disconnect the kill switch?

Thank you in advance! I'm feeling more optimistic today. :sneaky:

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I found the wiring diagram addendum for the 81 Custom in the FSM (page 315), but it's difficult for me to decipher. It's in the top right corner (Starter * Engine Stop Switch) next to the Front Brake Light Switch. I'm not sure what to do with this info, I'm sorry. Ready to learn, however!

·
Registered
438 Posts
kill switch plugs in to the ignition controller - its a black wire with a white stripe - going to a white wire into the box through a bullet connector - just fdisconnect the bullet -

Rayman

Reactions: lukaspriest

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
BTW: I'm pretty good at electronics but I find the drawings in the FSM hard to follow too. The coloured wiring drawings (in the Wiki) are much easier to figure out.

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
OK, I just pulled the kill switch wire and confirmed that it was the correct one. Started up and rode great for the first couple of minutes, and then once again, started its same crap....lost a cylinder, power coming on and off abruptly. Limped it home again.

So, I guess I can test the voltage for the GY6 modules. I also have two brand new ones I got from Murray on hand that I can swap out.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I don’t understand this at all. The misfiring moved with the coil. You replaced the coil and still have misfiring problems. Have you swapped coils again to see if the misfiring still follows a coil? I would check this before messing with the gy6 modules.

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Hey Doug!

Great ideas. I'll isolate which side is still failing to fire, and then I'll swap the coils again and see if the problem follows. Then I'll swap plug caps. I actually just bought brand new OEM plug caps last year. Perhaps I didn't get them on there securely.

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
OK my friends, I think I have hit a wall and I don't know what to do.

I have meticulously gone through the wiring and revised a few connectors here and there. I installed a new terminal for the main ground, and along the way, I also replaced my 40 year old main fuse (man, the old one fell apart like tissue paper!). I have installed two brand new ignition coils (after trying to swap them) and also installed two brand new wires going from the rae-san to the coils. My spark plug caps are brand new OEM just this last year, and I have them screwed on rock solidly. I had purchased two brand new GY6 modules from Murray and tried swapping them out one at a time and then both of them. All of this has been to no avail. My bike is still sputtering in and out, abruptly, going from running on one cylinder to both of them. Sometimes the bike starts up beautifully, and other times, only on one cylinder. I've noticed that when I turn my key to the "on" position, sometimes the light indicators (red and green on each side) on the controller unit only light up on one side. I am supremely stumped. Where do I go from here?

I can create and post a video of what the rae-san unit is doing (the lights) if it would be helpful.

Thanks you all!

·
Registered
438 Posts
it sounds like you might have an issue with the hall pickup / wiring that is vibration and/or heat sensitive .
is it the older epoxy encased one - if so happy to send you the newer one for postage costs.

Cheers
Rayman

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So today, Nolimitz came over and we got a little busy with my CX500:

We dropped the engine and installed a new Rae-san HALL plate. I was quite mortified to see that, during the installation of the last one, I had over-tightened the bolts that fasten it in and it was cracked/broken and all sorts of messed up, so I'm 99.9999% sure that this was the cause of the issues I've been having. I want to give a massive shout-out to Rayman for his ongoing and continued support - he was just marvelous in helping get a new one sent out to me faster than lightning, and the new and improved HALL plate is slick.

We got the timing all set, got her buttoned back up, and got the engine put back in. I need to mention that Nolimitz sacrificed his entire Sunday to come over and help me with this endeavor. I don't own a home and rent an apartment (don't even ask me about the housing market where I live, ugh!), so we did the whole job in my carport in weather that was easily 100 degrees. I ran an extension cord out of my window facing the carport and put up a pedestal oscillating fan, so that helped a little bit, ha! Luckily I had all the tools that we needed (I have followed the sage advice of Nolimitz when I started this whole journey to invest in tools and not mechanics :cool:), and we only needed to go to the hardware store once - the new version of the HALL plate has a much lower profile, so we had to grab a couple of shorter bolts to put it in. We remembered to use loctite and employed nylon washers.

Anyhow, we got her put back together and she came right to life. I rode it up and down the street a few times and she appears to be purring like a kitten - I didn't notice any stumbling, bogging, or running on only one cylinder. And of course, my carburetor that was done by LRCXed performed with snappy, responsive perfection. My bike seems peppier than ever. I'll know for sure after I get the chance to ride it longer - we'd been at it all day and we were both thoroughly hot, sweaty, dirty, filthy, and tired, so I didn't ride super long, and I still need to double-check and tighten a few bolts. I'll report back, but I'm very danged sure that this has solved the problem.

Some of the best people I've EVER met have been on this forum. What an awesome community, and how fortunate I am be a part of it.

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
OK, just had to report back. I took it out last night and rode about 15 miles, and the bike performed flawlessly. No hiccups, no stumbling, no bogging, no running-on-only-one-cylinder nonsense. She just ran! I'm literally turning cartwheels right now! Woo-hoo!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I am so happy for both you and nolimitz!! I think he was as frustrated you were with all the help he gave you. Gotta love a happy ending. Now that you can rely on the bike you can start touring!

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Oh, without a doubt - he's been with me every step of the way pulling out his hair right alongside me! I can't count how many countless hours that man has spent helping me through this journey. If not for him, I'd still only be daydreaming about riding motorcycles - he's one of the kindest souls I know.

Just did another 25 miles a few minutes ago....still running like a dream. :p

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
OK, just had to report back. I took it out last night and rode about 15 miles, and the bike performed flawlessly. No hiccups, no stumbling, no bogging, no running-on-only-one-cylinder nonsense. She just ran! I'm literally turning cartwheels right now! Woo-hoo!
LuasP
Delighted to hear this. Get your better half's bike out of storage and ride into the sunset. Maybe now I can get back to a few gremlins of my own on the 650... Just kidding, but there is still a tree or 6 with your name on them......
Also thanks to you and Amy for being so kind to Mariah over all these rides and work days. She loves your company and hospitality. Lets do a ride soon. this week end we are at the cabin for anniversary and Mariah's Bday

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yes! That comes next....I need to dust off her little suzi-Q! And as for trees.....well, we'll make them curse the days we were born! Always love having you two over, and Mariah is just the biggest sweetheart. Look forward to riding brother! Happy anniversary, and tell Mariah happy birthday for me!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts