Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Roger,

I am sure there are more expensive bikes to rebuild, but not very many. Because of the small numbers built, all parts are rare and expensive. A lot of parts off of the regular CX's will fit. The Eurosport wheel will fit the rear, but I think it is an 18", so a bit of work will be required. The 500 and 650 are about the same to work on. Your biggest problems will be with the turbo and injection. Years ago when I was looking at restoring a car, a trusted friend told me to buy the best example I could find and that would be cheaper than trying to locate parts and labor to restore one. That is still good advice. A wrecked turbo bike is best left to be used as a parts bike, or maybe some crazy racer like me who already has enough inventory to build a couple bikes. Good luck in your projects.

Ed

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Careful Ed,

Almost no parts from a standard CX500 will fit on a CX500T. In fact, I can't think of a single compatible part.

Maybe a fuse or two.

Further, almost no parts from a 650T will fit on a 500T. They were very different all the way around.

Fairings are not compatible, drivetrains are not compatible, front suspension is somewhat compatible.

There are a couple of compatible sensors between the two bikes.

CX500E wheels might be compatible with a 500T, but a 650E rear wheel is not. Neither are 650T rear wheels. The drive hubs are different.
Okay I was a bit sloppy with my response. Since he was talking about a running bike I was thinking there might have been some chassis pieces that could be adapted to the bike to get it moving, forks, seats, etc. Obviously there are big differences in the electrics and bodywork. Roger, your search is going to be even more difficult. Buy the best running example you can find, otherwise it will be very frustrating and expensive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.