Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am from Sweden and I am thinking of buying a crashed 500 Turbo.

I have more bikes in the garage but I am new to the CX-world.

What is most important to look for? Most expensive to repair? Most difficult part to find as spare part?

Also little nervous about the bike being very complicated. I read somewhere that the 650 is less complicated designed(I think the topic was the injection system), why so? Was the 500 found to be too complicated?

I would really appreciate some advice.

The bike: I haven't seen it yet but apparently the plastic parts are broken. front fork is broken, wheels are straight( although back wheel bolt in bad shape the seller claims), frame straight, instrument cluster broken, Engine running after crash. Is rear wheel replaceable with another cx wheel?

At this moment the lack of fairing + replacing everything broken with 100 % original parts is not a big issue to me. More important is getting the bike running. I might use different fork, instrument etc.

Greetings from a snowy mid part of Sweden

// Roger

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Roger,

I am sure there are more expensive bikes to rebuild, but not very many. Because of the small numbers built, all parts are rare and expensive. A lot of parts off of the regular CX's will fit. The Eurosport wheel will fit the rear, but I think it is an 18", so a bit of work will be required. The 500 and 650 are about the same to work on. Your biggest problems will be with the turbo and injection. Years ago when I was looking at restoring a car, a trusted friend told me to buy the best example I could find and that would be cheaper than trying to locate parts and labor to restore one. That is still good advice. A wrecked turbo bike is best left to be used as a parts bike, or maybe some crazy racer like me who already has enough inventory to build a couple bikes. Good luck in your projects.

Ed

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Careful Ed,

Almost no parts from a standard CX500 will fit on a CX500T. In fact, I can't think of a single compatible part.

Maybe a fuse or two.

Further, almost no parts from a 650T will fit on a 500T. They were very different all the way around.

Fairings are not compatible, drivetrains are not compatible, front suspension is somewhat compatible.

There are a couple of compatible sensors between the two bikes.

CX500E wheels might be compatible with a 500T, but a 650E rear wheel is not. Neither are 650T rear wheels. The drive hubs are different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The more I read the more hesitant I become.

The few spare parts available are really expensive, especially when it comes to fuel injection & turbo system.

Greetings from Roger

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
There are two kinds of turbo owners:

Those who know what they got themselves into,

and

those who ask, "what the f*** did I get myself into?"

Owning a turbo is a serious commitment in either learning how maintain your own rare, and abnormally difficult to work on bike, or spending a shitload having someone else do it (if you can even find a mechanic who is competent enough to work on it).

It is not for the faint of heart.

If you are having any second thoughts, don't do it.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Careful Ed,

Almost no parts from a standard CX500 will fit on a CX500T. In fact, I can't think of a single compatible part.

Maybe a fuse or two.

Further, almost no parts from a 650T will fit on a 500T. They were very different all the way around.

Fairings are not compatible, drivetrains are not compatible, front suspension is somewhat compatible.

There are a couple of compatible sensors between the two bikes.

CX500E wheels might be compatible with a 500T, but a 650E rear wheel is not. Neither are 650T rear wheels. The drive hubs are different.
Okay I was a bit sloppy with my response. Since he was talking about a running bike I was thinking there might have been some chassis pieces that could be adapted to the bike to get it moving, forks, seats, etc. Obviously there are big differences in the electrics and bodywork. Roger, your search is going to be even more difficult. Buy the best running example you can find, otherwise it will be very frustrating and expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought that the turbo was simply a CX on steroids but I have realised the difference is much bigger.

The way I intend to use the bike probably makes it unsuitable for me.

I am prepared to rebuild some mechanical stuff like forks from other bike to fit but it's the injection and turbo that make me hesitate.

I probably will not buy.

thanks for the good advice.

// Roger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.