Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The voltmeter that installed showed 11.5-12v at the battery all the way home. It didn't drop steadily... but never rebounded either, even under throttle.

This is the 650T I bought 14 months ago w/9K miles on it.

It now has 16.2K miles (I have been riding it to work every day). I figured the stator was failing (the battery is good and takes a charge).

I pulled the stator plug- the plug looks good, and the windings are 0.9 ohms between each other and infinite ohms to ground. At low idle the windings are all putting out 21 VAC. That makes me think that the stator is still fine. What do you think the problem is?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are you certain you got a good test? Did you use a good DVOM across the battery terminals while engine off (about 12 volts), and then with the engine idling (about 13-14.5 volts) ?? It sounds like one of the three phases of the stator is going out. Test each of the three individual yellow wires for continuity to ground (should NOT have any continuity to ground, ever). It may be partially charging with the other two phases, but one phase may be bad. If not, then test the voltage regulator. Remember, the clock is a battery hog, and will drain the battery over a few months, or sooner.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Paul, If your battery is only 11.5 to 12 volts when riding, I'd guess the bike is VERY slow to turn over when you try to start it.

If it spins at normal cranking speed and starts easily, then I think your voltmeter is WAY OUT in its readings.

Buy or borrow another one or two meters and confirm what your original reading was/is/is not.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I agree with Dave F. I'm thinking that the AC output on each of the tree yellow wires should be 40-70 volt AC. Make sure you have your meter set to AC voltage. At idle, it could be less, but 21 volts seems very low. I had a stator that passed every static test, but would not put out voltage. Swapped it out and everything is now fine. So, all tests are necessary, not just grounding and continuity tests.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts