Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you want to lower your bike, you have several options... You can get the seat off a Dyna model which is a couple inches thinner than your stock seat, which from what I read is a rather simple mod found here which seems to be the simplest method.

You can also get shorter shocks, but if you go lower, you should probably go stiffer so you don't bottom out, especially for a heavier guy or someone that will carry a passenger, the other issue with this is the possibility of scraping your peg on the ground when cornering, which I've done once without lowering my bike when avoiding a moron in my lane going the wrong way around a curve, granted, I was only going about 85 mph and it was rated at 35, but I slowly got up to speed after going around it time after time after time, not advisable btw, you never know when a car won't know where there lane is or some gravel could be there etc. Another thing if you use lower shocks is the kickstand length, if you lower your bike much at all, the kickstand will be too long and your bike won't properly lean so it's easy to knock over. If you are going to go with shorter rear shocks, make sure you measure the hole on the shocks you have, and get something that's compatible, which I found some Harley's were, but not sure exactly what models or what years, so double check before you drop some cash

Then there's the Hardtail, now if you're going hardtail, then odds are it isn't a daily rider, or at least not for long distance, and so therefore it's fashion over function, and you probably don't mind the extra challenges and what not.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I considered using a shorter shock, but with that there's too much other stuff, and the Dyna seat will give the effect I want and it's a lot simpler. If I get a new daily rider, or get my parts bike going I'd like to turn it into a chopper and make it a hardtail, but I can't do a hardtail and ride it all the time, it's the only mode of transportation I use if there isn't snow, hell, I don't even own a car or anything right now... I think the seat swap should be sufficient until I decide to go all out and make it a show bike

·
Registered
163 Posts
something for you to think about..... what is your inseam? if you drop the seat height you may end up with your knees higher then you hips instead of the other way around. pretty dang uncomfortable for anything other then a very short distance. makes for a pretty cramped up cockpit. i have only a 32 inch inseam and the 1982 cx500 custom that i bought for my lady friend is way to cramped for me. if i were going to ride this thing any distance and i am not.... i would have to raise the seat about two inches and move the butt pocket back about at least as far. if your inseam is 30 inches or less you might get away with it. it fits her very well and she is comfortable on it.

Ravyn

I considered using a shorter shock, but with that there's too much other stuff, and the Dyna seat will give the effect I want and it's a lot simpler. If I get a new daily rider, or get my parts bike going I'd like to turn it into a chopper and make it a hardtail, but I can't do a hardtail and ride it all the time, it's the only mode of transportation I use if there isn't snow, hell, I don't even own a car or anything right now... I think the seat swap should be sufficient until I decide to go all out and make it a show bike

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure lol, but I know I've sat on the bike with no seat and it sits well, uncomfortable with no cushion, but the height was pretty nice...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm not sure lol, but I know I've sat on the bike with no seat and it sits well, uncomfortable with no cushion, but the height was pretty nice...

hey cd, that's cool. hope it works for you. you may be much shorter then i am at 6'2" but then i only have a 32 inch inseam and it's pretty uncomfortable leg wise for me. had some pretty good cramps in my hip flexors. rode it back from seattle just after buying it and it was only about 150 miles and that was with a gas stop at 100 miles, grrrrrrrr, with my part time restoration business i do custom bike set up and a lot of that is done for women so i am always trying to make things as comfy and safe as possible. if you get the ergos right....handle bars to seat, seat to foot pegs and the proper bend in the elbows and body position you can ride one hell of a long time without getting off.......except for that pathetic 100 mile range between fill ups.

Ravyn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts