Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle seems to have misplaced the thrust washer on the waterpump shaft.Will this cause the mechanical seal to leak or is it to space the impeller away from the case?I (like a dummy in a hurry)assembled the rear cover without it and the weep hole is dripping badly now.However the impeller is not touching the case so my ? is what does it do?Also when I had the rear cover off the mechanical seal came out easily(rubber cups and spring not the metal sleeve).So if anyone has a spare thrust washer or dimensions so I can get one I would appreciate it as I am about to replace the mechanical seal.JUst wish I would have done it when the engine was out.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Thank you.Does it go over the splined water pump drive?
See this thread, on the 2nd page there are a couple of pics that Eurovee posted that clearly show the washer.

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/4565-water-pump-impeller/

I would also glue the seal into the cup, I replaced a couple of seals in motors with no glue when I first got my cx's and did not know any better and they do not leak but if I was doing it now I would glue them in.

See the link below for Shep's instructions,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=355

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
There are two washers ...

A steel spacer washer behind the impeller and the copper washer in front of the impeller. The copper washer has to be annealed or replaced each and every time. For the small cost I always replace it, but it isn't hat hard to anneal it either.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
a thrust washer is what the description says.....a thrust...push something foward.it has no other function,if its clean and 10mm in size,job sorted,use it 100 times.

washers that heve a different function.ie.....sealing water,or whatever,so cheap,just replace...trouble is,if you dont,and get a leak,it puts red herrings into your head

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep the big issue is a leak.Was just dripping slowly and appeared to be waterpump pipe o-ring , replaced o ring and leak was worse.But it appears to be from the weep hole now and wasn't before changing the o ring.Coincedence maybe?The o ring no longer appears to be leaking.But my eyes and paraniod thoughts about the mechanical seal are telling me it is the weep hole even tho it is far worse now after o ring replacement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.