Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the o-ring on the case was leaking so I replaced it, put it back together and it still leaked when I took a better look at it the pisser hole is leaking. What would be the reason why it's leaking and do I have to replace the whole back of the engine(case).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Unless the space where the o ring seats is damaged the coolant is leaking through the seal. Is it an old seal? Did you contaminate the seal faces(even just touching is a no no)? The seal will last a very long time and unless the rubber sleeve cracks w age leaks will mostly come from grit/dirt scratching the faces. GJ

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Is this a new bike to you? Sometimes, but not always, a few (50) miles of running will stop the weep. If not, you will have to remove the pump cover again, then the impeller, and pull out the old guts out of the metal cup behind the impeller. Get a new seal and remove the rubber part of the new seal from it's cup and silicone it into your old cup. Add the new polo mint & rubber seal to the impeller and reassemble. You have now completed "Shep's Method" of mechanical seal renewal.

Look in the general section to find a complete description on how to do this. Once you have the pump cover off, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to replace the seal.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Is this a new bike to you? Sometimes, but not always, a few (50) miles of running will stop the weep. If not, you will have to remove the pump cover again, then the impeller, and pull out the old guts out of the metal cup behind the impeller. Get a new seal and remove the rubber part of the new seal from it's cup and silicone it into your old cup. Add the new polo mint & rubber seal to the impeller and reassemble. You have now completed "Shep's Method" of mechanical seal renewal.

Look in the general section to find a complete description on how to do this. Once you have the pump cover off, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to replace the seal.
as Blue said http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=355

1 - 4 of 4 Posts