Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbe to forum and CX500, converting to street CAFE look, apparently having a water leak thru the mechanical seal behind the impeller, my question is has anyone replaced this seal with out pulling the back cover, and is this a wise choice?? Any thoughts will be appericated, I'v had the motor out twice thing it was the impeller cover that was leaking.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yes, and yes. A friend of mine did the engine in cover on replacement last spring and has had no issues after a lot of riding. I did the total replacement earlier this summer as I also needed to repalce the cam-chain. I can tell you it took me a lot longer for the same result (no leak).. You pulled the motor to check the pump cover? I bet you are good at removing the engine now. No time tooling is wasted time!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Newbe to forum and CX500, converting to street CAFE look, apparently having a water leak thru the mechanical seal behind the impeller, my question is has anyone replaced this seal with out pulling the back cover, and is this a wise choice?? Any thoughts will be appericated, I'v had the motor out twice thing it was the impeller cover that was leaking.
yes,i would not recomend pulling the engine just to change the seal

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=355

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Thanks for the speedy reply, this will save me a lot of time.

Just remember that the inner seal is delicate and NEVER force it out of the cup.Be patient.That's the hardest part of what you will find is a pretty simple job compared with doing it the,"Official" way.Also double check for carb boot leaks when you refit the carbs as that's a common problem when the carbs are removed and on re-fit,

Click here,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=110

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
As Shep indicated, this is not the time for using tire irons to pry the Yamaha seal out of its cup. I have done a couple without any problems. The safest way I have found is to place the seal in a vise with the spring end up. Then take a couple of 4" or so small flat bladed screwdrivers and position them 180 degrees apart under the spring, resting on the cup sides, leaving the handles at approx level with the floor. Heat the bottom of the cup with a micro torch, or lighter until the seal releases and the screwdriver handles droop down. I place a towel under the vise also to catch the seal if it decides to come all the way out of the cup. The ceramic disk will break if it hits the floor wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As Shep indicated, this is not the time for using tire irons to pry the Yamaha seal out of its cup. I have done a couple without any problems. The safest way I have found is to place the seal in a vise with the spring end up. Then take a couple of 4" or so small flat bladed screwdrivers and position them 180 degrees apart under the spring, resting on the cup sides, leaving the handles at approx level with the floor. Heat the bottom of the cup with a micro torch, or lighter until the seal releases and the screwdriver handles droop down. I place a towel under the vise also to catch the seal if it decides to come all the way out of the cup. The ceramic disk will break if it hits the floor wrong.
BF thx for the info, it makes it a lot easier when someone else has been thru the process, again THX!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Blue Fox,

I like your method for removing the new seal from the cup. It sounds like a brilliant method. When I did mine, I used a Dremel tool to cut the cup. Your way sounds faster, easier and less likely to damage the new seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP!!!! 79 cx500 custom water pump seal

I have a 79 cx500 custom, everything is good on her expect the water pump seal. I was told you are able to replace it without having to take the engine apart. I need how to go about this. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just remember that the inner seal is delicate and NEVER force it out of the cup.Be patient.That's the hardest part of what you will find is a pretty simple job compared with doing it the,"Official" way.Also double check for carb boot leaks when you refit the carbs as that's a common problem when the carbs are removed and on re-fit,

Click here,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=110
What does the thrust washer look like? Does anyone have a photo?

Edit to avoid thread necro - see here: https://motofaction.org/motorcycles...-pump-impeller-honda-cx500-gl500-cx650-gl650/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.