Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1982 GL500 to restore. It's 98% original/complete. Only 5k miles

Before I want to even think about starting it I am doing fluid changes, spark plugs, filters, etc...

Today I changed the oil and found this white goo resting at the bottom facing side of the filter cap.

From what I've researched the primary culprit would be the water pump seal. Here's the oil that drained out, hard to tell in pictures, but it's a lighter brown, debatably a bit milky.

Now I may just be a bit paranoid that anything I work on is destined to have a major problem. I want to cover all my bases and ask those who have more experience and knowledge than I do.

Also, other forum posts I've read are a bit spotty to tell what to do to fix the water pump seals based on the bike year. It seems like the earlier 78' models require the "Shep's method" while mine, being an 82' would just be a direct part replacement. (That I could possibly do without removing the engine?)

Long story long, is this something I should be concerned about? Basically, can I get it started and running without addressing this to see if there really is a problem? It's only 5k miles and sat for an unknown amount of time, so it could be unavoidable condensation that never burned off. What would y'all advise?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Since it has been sitting for a long time I wouldn’t be concerned about the white gunk yet. Condensation can happen in the motor. I would give it a go before trying any major repairs.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Also, good job inspecting the oil filter area! Be thankful you just saw a little gunk and not a bunch of fine gold specs.

·
Super Moderator
3,260 Posts
If the weep hole is clear it won't be from the water pump seal, as it'll leak out the weep hole well before it forces it's way past the oil seal into the crankcase. If the weep hole is blocked it'll make it's way into the crankcase as there's not really anywhere else for it to go.

The weep hole is on the back of the motor, as shown here in this writeup on how to clean it with the engine out:

If the hole is clear and there isn't coolant leaking out of if your mechanical seal is probably fine at this point (or perhaps there's no coolant!).

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your looking to just get her up and running and look at what else needs doing I'd go with the advice above and just put her back together and run her. I'd only add don't waste your money on expensive oil and don't worry about a coolant other than distilled or demineralised water. Your not going to run it for long and if the water pump is leaking into the oil gallery distilled water will cause much less damage than a coolant mix. It's the sulphates in coolant that eats our bearings at work.

When you Do... start stripping I'd highly recommend you look at the bottom of your oil pump..... Your be amazed at the shit your find there. It may change your opinion on what you do next.....I went from a broken gear selector spring to a full engine build on that one look. Thank god I did as I saved the engine.

Happy tinkering.

Dez

1 - 5 of 5 Posts