Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a 1980 Honda CX500, which is leaking water into the transmission oil, we have pulled it apart and need to change the seals. It has 2 seals - see attachments. Has anyone done this before? Our current plan is to replace the water side seal only, using the SHEP method then reassemble, and check. If still leaking replace the oil side seal as well. Are there any tips or suggestions for seal replacement. TX in advance Len.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,054 Posts
If you have already pulled it apart, do the oil seal as well. The seal is cheap and you've done most of the work already.

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If coolant is getting past the oil seal, is the weep hole blocked? That's where you should first see evidence of a failing mechanical seal. I ran my CX for several thousand miles with a leaking (though not massively, just messy and needing topping up a little every 100 miles or so) mechanical seal, and all the leaking coolant dribbled out of the weep hole, none got past the oil seal. I eventually 'shepped' the mechanical seal, and it's been fine since (about 3 thousand miles so far).
If coolant is getting past the oil seal, it makes sense to replace it if you have the rear case off. It'll only take a couple of minutes to change it. Why put it back together to find it's then leaking oil?

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
What he said ^^^ Unless the weep hole is blocked coolant that leaks past mechanical seal should run harmlessly down the side of the engine near our left foot.

Assuming the weep hole isn't blocked, if you have coolant in the oil and there is none running down the side of the engine I'd be looking at a leaking head gasket, not the mechanical seal...

BTW: These bikes don't have "tramsmission oil" (the transmission runs in the same oil as the engine).

Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts