Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i put the new seal in and working on putting the water pump and cap nut on put the thrust washer then the pump then then copper washer then the nut the nut is not tightening up what gives here. any ideas guys.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ok so i put the new seal in and working on putting the water pump and cap nut on put the thrust washer then the pump then then copper washer then the nut the nut is not tightening up what gives here. any ideas guys.
jay,you do know its teeth tight,that nut....with a dab of locktight...yes...how far did you torque it down

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i never got it tight it just keeps spinning never applyed anytorque to it. the book said 8ft lbs but i have not got that far it wont tighten just spinns but now the cap wont come off neither

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand stand those cap nuts strip quick but hell i did not apply any force to it just spun it on with a 1/4 inch ratchet to try to snug up never got that far just spins if i ever get it off i suppose i could put the lock tight on did not show in the instructions

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I understand stand those cap nuts strip quick but hell i did not apply any force to it just spun it on with a 1/4 inch ratchet to try to snug up never got that far just spins if i ever get it off i suppose i could put the lock tight on did not show in the instructions
jay,just recheck you havnt got 2 thrst washers there,are you 100 % sure the old one came off.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so am i screwed i tried to pull and twist with vise grips and nothing wont come off all this friggin work for this WTF i am pissed

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only put i thrust washer on if i remember correctly the other one came off with the pump and i threw it out as i bought a new one

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That cam shaft is steel the cap is cheap inferior metal how to get this cap off is the question it seems like the cap is stripped

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think the best option for you would be to cut the nut off carefully not to damage the cam shaft. That way you could possibly get a new nut as long as the camshaft threads are not stripped. but I think it is the nuts threads that got stripped.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
zegwin thats what it seems like i can get another cap nut but shit now i will have to get the dremel and perform a friggin frankinstien surgury

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I think the best option for you would be to cut the nut off carefully not to damage the cam shaft. That way you could possibly get a new nut as long as the camshaft threads are not stripped. but I think it is the nuts threads that got stripped.
agree,but check my above post as well when the nut comes off.

now jay,you will have to slow dowm.hurt that nut in lots of ways,but,,look after your shaft

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
jay,just cut into the nut,weaken its will to survive,keep cutting,wear it down...peel it away..then asses

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Be very careful.If you damage the Cam shaft thread it could mean a new cam-shaft and that's a big job.You should be able to get a decent m6 thread dome nut from a decent bolt/fastener suppliers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.