Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on this here forum for a while now, and it has allowed me to successfully accomplish many mechanical undertakings by my lonesome. I own a 78 cx500, and I just recently completely a triple bypass.

SOOO

here's the issue

After getting engine back in frame and putting the bike back together, I was successfully able to ride for around 3 weeks with no issues aside from some minor carb tuning. However, we just received a deluge of rain (about 4 days of not riding) in San Francisco, and I decided to keep the bike indoors for the time being.

When the skies cleared up, I took her out for a spin and noticed the engine temp seemed to be quite a bit higher than normal (keep in mind I have no way of telling the coolant temp on my bike, simply an oil temp...I know, unreliable, but better than nothing). So I checked the rad overflow bottle levels (a tad low, nothing too seve), and then decided to top off the rad level as well, just as a kind of 'working itself out post triple bypass' preemptive measure. When opening the rad cap, I did hear what seamed to be some fairly audible air decompression, and so I burped her when finished topping off, with the rad cap off. Let her sit and idle for a couple minutes to find that the bottom of my straight pipe (2 into 1 Emgo) at the clamp was spitting liquid all over the place. Turned off the bike, went down and looked at it. Smelled it, nothing like coolant, in fact it was clear like water. Smelled slightly chemically, but it very well could have just been what was on my gloves when i wiped it off the pipe to smell it. Had ABSOLUTLE NO IDEA what this was and how it got there, but I had a class to catch so put everything back together and rode off (bike rides very well btw)

When I got out of class, turned my bike on and let it warm up only to find the same watery stuff spitting out of the same part of my pipes. Took her home, and when pulled into the garage leaking had stopped.

Drained the the radiator and overflow, repeated the burping, put cap back on, still same issue. All the while the temp of the bike was still getting uncomfortably hot while riding.

Had to run some errands and figured it would be a good time to test 'er out. When I parked, figured I check my oil and found that it was dark and starting to look relatively creamy, with some slight bubbles (looked like carbonation from a soda or something) around the dipstick area. Is that normal for 2 weeks of every day riding?

Stomach sank as I figured it might eventually turn into the infamous 'milkshake' concoction that becomes such a nightmare.

I'm at a loss here people, and I know th typical diagnostic of mechanical/oil seal, blown head gasket, water impeller, weep hole etc etc., but it just doesn't add up to having what seemed to be water coming out of my pipes, as far as I know.

Any advice will be much appreciated

Jackson

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Coolant can separate under high heat and pressure.

You most likely have a blown head gasket.
If it was the mech seal, it would also be coming out the weep hole [unless it was plugged].

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you think you are getting water in the oil take a rocker cover off and check the underside any condensation, water collects at the top of the engine and will show.
Are you loosing coolant? or are just seeing condensation in the exhaust due to it running hot, check the spark plug colour for weak mixture.
Fit a water temp gauge it's vital !

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Get water temp gauge before you cook your motor!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Could you post a pic of the oil on the dipstick? I too have bubbles in my oil, and am concerned what it could be. Mine doesn't look creamy though....

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Could just be water from combustion of fuel and the high humidity. Does it go away if you drive for a longer time?
Still, check the oil for water contamination, and pressure test the cooling system.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am with thackney that it could be moisture/condensation that is coming from a seam there in the exhaust and after warming completely up with a drive it is no longer condensing in the pipe and passes out the end as vapor. Is the pipe new to you and you have just not seen it before. My gl dribbles water from the end and underside of the mufflers until I run down the street a bit. Definately do the checks and get a temp gage of some sort going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the quick replies guys, really just so awesome this thing exists. Anyways, I left my bike at school yesterday as I did not feel comfortable riding it home. Will explore all the suggestions today and get back to you all soon with a valid response as opposed to speculation.

Seriously couldn't be more thankful that I got a helping hand with this

Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just put a like of the water on your finger and taste it. If it is sweet then it is Coolant and most likely a blown head gasket or worse. If not it is condensation. How long has the gas been in the tank? The fuel today has Ethyol in it, a form of Alcohol, it attracts and holds water bad. When you run the engine it is released and comes out the exhaust. Again, taste it. If it is sweet you got problems, if not then it is condensation, just keep the tank full and try some Marine Stabilt. IMHO

·
Registered
562 Posts
Best way to know for sure if there is water (and/or coolant) in the oil is to drain a decent-sized sample into a clear container, then let it sit for a few hours. The oil is less dense; it will rise to the top.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the delay, had other things to handle before I could update y'all. Turns out the water pump housing was warped, so I'm going to replace that and go from there. Leak down test points to that being the issue, along with lots of coolant coming from the weep hole. Hope and pray it's just this and not something more sinister!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks y'all, replaced the water pump housing/gasket and issue has seemingly ceased to exist. Bikes staying cool (and it's hot today) and no coolant in oil. Will keep you all posted if anything else happens. Now just need a temp gauge and il be golden! (hopefully). Again, thanks for your help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts