Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Turbo Friends,

As adviced by several of you I decided to take a good look at my turbo so I disassembled the bike to the point where I can see both turbines and waste gate.

The fans rotate smoothly on both sides with no wobble or noticable resistance. However, the waste gate does show a problem. From the pictures you can see

that the valve its self is loose on its arm. When I open the arm I can wobble the valve with my fingers. I don't know if this is how its supposed to be

or if the valve has come loose. Your input as always is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
doesn't the arm move forward - not backward ? so the arm pivots on the rod and pushes the valve open?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think you found the problem. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that should be loose at all, however, what does it look like when you are not opening the wastegate with that wrench? Mine has no gap.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lex, the bottom picture shows the gate closed. It sits pretty tight but you see the gap between the plate and the valve? . Maybe its like that I don't know. Did your gate move around on the plate or was it fixed solid?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I don't remember my 650's turbocharger having a loose, floppy valve.

Oh, what the hell am I thinking??? (idjit), I have two turbochargers in my kitchen.

I'll put a reminder on my phone to look at them tonight.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just bought one as a spare, so I can check that out too when it arrives. Ironically and totally unrelated, I also bought a new turbo for my Lexus. Did you know running to lean can melt the turbine?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Not entirely true.

Turbos should have no lateral play (intake side to exhaust side wiggle across the length of the turbocharger).

However, there will be a tiny bit of wiggle in the bearings. This wiggle room is where the oil flows.

After a fresh rebuild with brand new bearings, I had just the slightest hint of wiggle in the bearings.

Excessive wiggle, bad. Barely noticeable wiggle, okay.

It is more important that the turbocharger shaft be balanced. An out-of-balance shaft can kill a turbocharger very rapidly.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I just bought one as a spare, so I can check that out too when it arrives. Ironically and totally unrelated, I also bought a new turbo for my Lexus. Did you know running to lean can melt the turbine?
I guess that is possible. In most cases you will hole a piston or the ring lands will collapse. It is hard to imagine a case where the pistons would survive long enough for the turbine to fail. The combustion chamber gets much hotter than the turbo, so a lean condition should do much more damage there. Most turbines fail due to oiling issues from either trash in the oil, or just lubrication problems. A part that is designed to spin to 200,000 rpm is much more sensitive to lubrication than something spinning at 9,000 rpm.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I guess that is possible. In most cases you will hole a piston or the ring lands will collapse. It is hard to imagine a case where the pistons would survive long enough for the turbine to fail. The combustion chamber gets much hotter than the turbo, so a lean condition should do much more damage there. Most turbines fail due to oiling issues from either trash in the oil, or just lubrication problems. A part that is designed to spin to 200,000 rpm is much more sensitive to lubrication than something spinning at 9,000 rpm.

It wasn't the turbine shaft, it was the turbine fins, and the Toyota 2JZ motor is famous for its strength in stock form. (sorry for the hijack)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not entirely true.

Turbos should have no lateral play (intake side to exhaust side wiggle across the length of the turbocharger).

However, there will be a tiny bit of wiggle in the bearings. This wiggle room is where the oil flows.

After a fresh rebuild with brand new bearings, I had just the slightest hint of wiggle in the bearings.

Excessive wiggle, bad. Barely noticeable wiggle, okay.

It is more important that the turbocharger shaft be balanced. An out-of-balance shaft can kill a turbocharger very rapidly.

I got a rebuild kit for the IHI turbo and it states in the instructions that if fins and shaft are removed and replaced in exact same position

balancing is not required. If you move them out of place your' screwd.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Got the spare turbo today. It's just like your picture where the wastegate flap has some play in it. However, it is MUCH cleaner than yours and so is the one installed on my bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.