Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I've been using them for a while now, they're excellent.

Flow rate is great, particle filtration is higher than paper element filters.

They pay for themselves, one large can of brake cleaner ($3.95) has been good for 3 cleanings...so far, the can still has at least 3 or more cleanings worth in it. So it works out to a savings of $4-$5 per oil change vs a single use filter.

I still have this one I can give you a real good deal on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been using them for a while now, they're excellent.

Flow rate is great, particle filtration is higher than paper element filters.

They pay for themselves, one large can of brake cleaner ($3.95) has been good for 3 cleanings...so far, the can still has at least 3 or more cleanings worth in it. So it works out to a savings of $4-$5 per oil change vs a single use filter.

I still have this one I can give you a real good deal on.

OK...How much? I can get at least 3 of those in my filter canister! Should get 3 lifetimes out of them!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the canister o-ring ever need replaced? I assume you don't have to change it every time you change the filter.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Even though paper is not the best filtering media, I am suspect of anyone who tells you their filter is rated "down to" 35 microns. You should not be nearly as concerned with the down to as the up to, or largest particle a filter can pass. A paper filter is generally rated for around 40 microns. However paper has a few advantages over this, the biggest is depth filtration, or the amount of particles that can be immediately trapped and suspended in the media. The best filter media is called micro-glass, it has excellent flow and filtering, but I don't think anyone is making GL/CX filters from it.

http://www.perf-form.com/difference.htm

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
It's actually "35 microns absolute", among other terms. "Down to" is just a way of expressing that absolutely nothing that large or larger will get through.

I did some research when I bought it, and asked some people in the know. It's main advantage is at the time when most engine wear occurs, at cold start. A stainless filter will give you immediate and consistent flow, at rates far superior to any paper element. Most paper elements are so bad at cold filtering, that the bypass valve kicks in and you're starting the engine with much less oil flow, and what does flow is unfiltered dirty oil.

One square inch of the filter cloth will flow 1.9 Gallons per Minute at only 1 PSI pressure (70°F). Multiply that by the 30 square inches in the typical element, and you're at roughly 59 gallons per minute with literally NO pressure at common starting temps! There is not another filter on the market that can match the amount of flow provided by the stainless mesh filter.

Another dirty little secret (pun intended) is that there are NO STANDARDS when it comes to oil filters, on another net list I'm on, members took it upon themselves to test oil filters because they basically make up the rules as they go along, pointing out the good aspects of a given filter and making it look like unbiased test results.

This is a response to inquiry made to the manufacturer about their micron claim:

"We found the Testing filters is not a science in the industry, it's the snake oil scenario, so we tested ours against 5 other leading brands with an arbitrary test facility and no I.D. on any filters. The results were obviously very good for us, but the standards by which paper filters are tested and the results posted would scare you!

Some mfg's claim 10 micron filters, but what they don't tell you is that same filter lets particles as big as 300 microns through also. The test is controlled and mandated by whatever standards the mfg wants. 35 microns "absolute" means just that... nothing bigger than 35 gets through."

All that being said, the CX is such a robust engine when compared to just about anything else on 2 wheels (especially of that era), things such as oil filters etc. won't really make a difference in terms of longevity or reliability. I've got some parts bikes I bought which were absolutely and shamelessly abused from what appears to be day one, with hacks that just leave you shaking your head, and they made it past 60k miles (probably more, owners were too cheap to fix odo cables or clocks.) They were popular messenger bikes in the UK because they could take a licking, and keep on ticking.

·
Registered
373 Posts
All that being said, the CX is such a robust engine when compared to just about anything else on 2 wheels (especially of that era), things such as oil filters etc. won't really make a difference in terms of longevity or reliability. I've got some parts bikes I bought which were absolutely and shamelessly abused from what appears to be day one, with hacks that just leave you shaking your head, and they made it past 60k miles (probably more, owners were too cheap to fix odo cables or clocks.) They were popular messenger bikes in the UK because they could take a licking, and keep on ticking.
I'm sure that's true, I remember having a VW bug with the screen in the sump that was only fine enough to stop big girls and small cows. You were supposed to take it out and clean it but it was so coarse it never stopped anything. I ran that car hard for years, saw it around town for years later after I sold it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.