Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i was a member a year ago but i guess my account expired? im from boise idaho and i love to tour with my dad on my 79 cx500D. i just want to do some major modifications!! dont get me wrong the bike in its original is great but... well, too euro sporty for me. put simply i would like to; raise the front possibly kick it out 5 inches(is there a way to do that without welding like buying an angled triple tree?, single mount instrument cluster and in someway possibly keep the indicator lights and temp gauge, add front leg pegs in a non eye-sour way like chopper Charles had on his and not like the big chrome looping bars from touring packages in the 70s (not into that), hide that battery!! but where?, drop the rear (without going hard tail)like form 13.5 inches to possibly 10 or lower maybe even air shocks?. the original butt sticks so far out there it feels like im riding a draft horse haha. i want to change to ignitech from cdi.

i have started some cheepy mods in the past. worth while?, ehh not really. but im getting serious, so ANY help is greatly apreciated.

mods so far,

ripped out the air box, replaced with amigo air filters, (k&n's) but cheeper
also i do need to "rejet" the carbs but to what ratio?

created my own seat with original pan, but i need some good ideas for a less bulky two seater, one that conforms to the back tire like a harley would. how would i go about doing that?

swapped out the shorter handle bars for taller ones off another honda. (hopping to make me feel like riding a chopper) but it hasn't, really i just feel goofy and its stretching all my cables

replaced rusted tank, but the new one has a dent, if anyone knows how to remove that or a good web site that guides you step by step that would be great:)

went through so many cdi's i wish i woulda just bought the ignitech in the first place, real quick on that... it runs off your battery but how does it know when to fire? and is it adjustable or does is come pre- adjusted? im just worried about my k&n imitations being a pain.

new tires/rims

floor boards

corvette muffler 2 into 2 sounds sweet. ^^

in closing this was my grandpas bike back in the day and i bought it from him as a basket case. full dresser wind jammer and side bags but it sat for 30 some odd years, and ive spent lots of time just getting it running.

sorry for such a long post im just so excited... riding weather again!!

thanks, shortyidaho

·
Super Moderator
23,248 Posts
90/120 on the jets if you must run without the airbox.

The ignitech will know when to fire because your bike will still retain it's pulser coils which tell the CDI or ignitech when to fire, the stator coils that are no longer used with the ignitech only generate the ignition voltage.

·
Registered
458 Posts
stretching the front out 5 inches would be easy with longer forks, but, would tilt your engine at an angle. May cause issues with oil pick up etc. and would look a little odd.

Stay clear of angled triple trees, they alter the front end geometry. (rake and trail).

A few seat changes have been done, I believe some kind of HD dyna seat fits with minimum fuss. Jets should be increased in size, to something like 90/120. Free flowing exhaust and air pods, causes mixture to run lean, and could turn piston tops into donuts.

Anything can be done with a little knowledge and bit of thought, search thru old posts for such things as, seat, pods, fender, jets etc. Most of what you are thinking has been tried.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
hi all, i was a member a year ago but i guess my account expired?

sorry for such a long post im just so excited... riding weather again!!

thanks, shortyidaho

Hi Shorty...

there was a server migration to another hosting co. for the CX-GL forums here. I was a member of the old one for maybe a week and was unaware of what was happeneing.... I thought I had been booted until it was sorted out ( a couple days )... had to re-join.

There was also an invasion of "fake meat product" marketers that occured, but that has been addressed so you can't get any more spammy gibberish... Thanks to new moderators.

Same Grp... some newbs like me, some newer newbs... and some old time newbers as everyone was a "newb" for a while after the migration...

Edit: I read your mods and wants list... nothing out of the realm of possibility, I've seen all these things done cept the "corvette" muffler... and I NEED
to see a photo of that please... I sure understand your excitement and no problem with the long post. you may want to ask these questions one at a time as you are doing each mod. there are also many threads touching on all these issues. for some reason (possibly too creative or unrelated titles ) have made the forums sometimes hard to get the search results you are looking for.

No worries... all the posts from your previous membership are here in the archives ,inked at the top of the page(s).

Enjoy the nice riding weather! Enjoy Gramps old Bike !

Nola Vox Jeff

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
There is a company out there that sells an angled triple tree but it starts at $1400 and it's just a triple tree nothing more. You should be able to find 11 inch shocks just fine for the rear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, just for the tree huh? i have a local bike scrap yard, they charge sooo much for junk its retarted, just yesterday i was in there they wanted to charge me 25$ a piece for rear shocks and another 45 for a speedo.

so ill definitely send pics with mu muffler. i did before on a previous post. so when is the next ignetech buy? and is it 90/120 for the jets right? and anyone know of a good oem website who sells those? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
Remove as much stress as you can from the bike. Put it on the centerstand and get a strap or tie down and connect it between the centerstand and connect it to an area on the bike so that no matter what happens the stand cant go down. Then put something under the engine as a support. Either a jack or maybe a cinder block and an assortment of flat boards. Then when you cut the frame do it from the bottom of the frame and cut 90 percent of the way through leaving the metal on the top solid and intact.

If you use a jack and you cut the frame to that point you can slowly lower the jack and the weight of the engine will open the gap in the frame. Stop lowering it when you get to the point you want. Make sure everything lines up right and weld the crap out of it. If you don't have the tools and are a good welder take it to someone who can do the job better because it's your life you're dealing with.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Remove as much stress as you can from the bike. Put it on the centerstand and get a strap or tie down and connect it between the centerstand and connect it to an area on the bike so that no matter what happens the stand cant go down. Then put something under the engine as a support. Either a jack or maybe a cinder block and an assortment of flat boards. Then when you cut the frame do it from the bottom of the frame and cut 90 percent of the way through leaving the metal on the top solid and intact.

If you use a jack and you cut the frame to that point you can slowly lower the jack and the weight of the engine will open the gap in the frame. Stop lowering it when you get to the point you want. Make sure everything lines up right and weld the crap out of it. If you don't have the tools and are a good welder take it to someone who can do the job better because it's your life you're dealing with.

I thought of doing this a few times, not myself though. I have a welder friend. Wasnt there once a step by step with pics someone posted on the old forum once? I would be curious myself to see some pics of this if anyone has any.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
I don't think there was a step by step but the guy in northern wisconsin had lots of pictures of his chop.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah this is was weird but i also heard someone say that you cut from the top? that makes no sense. me and my grandad are gonna do the welding sometime this week. his way is exactly the way you said to do it too. ill have to tell him about strapping down the canter stand, really good idea

hey if anyone has some pics of their rake jobs post them up and make comments on the angles you chose, how far forward the wheel went and of course if your satisfied with the out come

1 - 14 of 14 Posts