Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm a new member, though I've visited this site many times. I bought a 1980 deluxe set up as a cruiser in the fall as something to work on over the winter while work is slow and I hope to have it complete by the spring. I'm hoping to turn it into a bit of a brat. I have had a few hiccups though. One thing I am having a little trouble with is the handlebars. I would really like to put on a pair of flipped clubman bars. I was talking to the parts guy at my local shop and he said I would have to be careful about whether or not my stock cables will work.Can anyone that has done this give me some pointers? Any advice would help, I have little experience with street bikes.
Thanks,
Trev

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
@ Trev,
I'm going to assume that by "flipped clubman bars" you mean that the U is pointing up, so it's not an aggressive riding position.

From there, it's all about creative cable routing.
Stock routing probably won't work for the clutch cable or throttle cables (especially if it was set up as a cruiser and has longer cables than an OEM deluxe model), and you might have to loosen the brake line at the master cylinder to change its angle.

Running flipped Norman Hyde M Bars (which are MUCH more aggressive than flipped clubmans), I was able to reroute the clutch cable without binding.
I can't tell you whether or not stock throttle cables are easy to reroute, as I have a set up Murray carbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Trev,
I'm going to assume that by "flipped clubman bars" you mean that the U is pointing up, so it's not an aggressive riding position.

From there, it's all about creative cable routing.
Stock routing probably won't work for the clutch cable or throttle cables (especially if it was set up as a cruiser and has longer cables than an OEM deluxe model), and you might have to loosen the brake line at the master cylinder to change its angle.

Running flipped Norman Hyde M Bars (which are MUCH more aggressive than flipped clubmans), I was able to reroute the clutch cable without binding.
I can't tell you whether or not stock throttle cables are easy to reroute, as I have a set up Murray carbs.
I'm sorry, I'm new to working on street bikes so I'm not sure my terminology is correct. I'm looking for clubmans with the more aggressive stance. As far as it having been a cruiser, I meant that the fellow I bought it off had cargo boxes and a big windshield, though I believe the handlebars were stock. They were the goat horn looking type

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts