Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I'm looking for a CX500 Deluxe tank to replace my GL500 stock tank. I weight 111 lbs., so I'm looking to take a little weight off my bike.

If anyone has one for sale, please let me know. I've been searching for months for a tank, and let's just say my frustration is growing...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
24,495 Posts
pistol

i can understand wanting a deluxe tank for the looks but for weight savings?????

hmm

17.5 L / 4.62 US gal gl500

17.03 l (4.50 gallons) deluxe

so the weight savings are .12us gallon at 7.5 lbs per gallon you will save

wow just over 3/4 of a pound well worth being frustrated over

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pistol

i can understand wanting a deluxe tank for the looks but for weight savings?????

hmm

17.5 L / 4.62 US gal gl500

17.03 l (4.50 gallons) deluxe

so the weight savings are .12us gallon at 7.5 lbs per gallon you will save

wow just over 3/4 of a pound well worth being frustrated over
Eeek! That's not much of a weight difference. I was told by a guy at the garage that the CX500 would be lighter and a straight fit for my bike.

Ideally, I'd like a CB350 or CL350 tank, but I haven't had much luck finding either style. (I'm worried the tunnels will be much too small to fit my bike.)

Since I'm new to all of this, and my GL is the first bike I've owned. I'm learning everything as I go and doing the work myself. I'm a bit weary of making too many adjustments to a tank that isn't a straight fit.

The frustration lies in the search, not specifically for the CX500 tank. It's just discouraging to a gal trying to do it herself. :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is more or less a straight fit but the deluxe tank is getting very expensive and hard to find in good condition

have you ridden the bike at all

is that why you feel the need to do the weight loss program??
Yes, a bit before removing the gas tank, seat, luggage rack, rear fender & battery.

That is exactly why I need to take some weight off the bike. I LOVE the bike, so I'm just trying to take weight off any way possible.

I'm still working on removing stock parts and working on small things, while the tank search continues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts