Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I'm running a 1981 CX500 Custom, and I'm pretty interested in getting some crash bars for it. I REALLY like the GL500 crashbars that I've seen - they look sleek and compliment the appearance of the bike, but I don't know if they're compatible with a CX Custom. Some are indeed hideous and I'd like to stay away from those. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Luke
Not sure if they are cross compatible with a custom, but saw these on ebay. Looks like both are right side only.
We can measure your mounts against our GL's to check fitment if you like.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luke
Not sure if they are cross compatible with a custom, but saw these on ebay. Looks like both are right side only.
We can measure your mounts against our GL's to check fitment if you like.
Nolimitz, Yeah, I saw those on Ebay! I wish they were complete sets. I would love to take some measurements from your bike to see if they would fit!

Murray....these standoff bolts - after googling, it sounds like they're used for mounting crash bars?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Those are Hondaline guards. They were available from the accessories catalog when these were in the dealer showrooms.
GL500 Hondaline guards will fit a CX500, but CX500 guards won't necessarily fit a GL500. The GL500 bguards are a slightly different shape to accommodate the fairing on the Interstate model. All the mounting points are the same. Your CX won't know the difference. Neither will a naked GL500.
GL650 guards will not fit a 500.
CX650C guards might be their own thing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Randall, this is such great info, thank you! I found these at DSS - it's hard to get a good read on them because of the angle of the photo....but are these them? Crash Bars from David Silver Spares

I really want to get some!

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Those are aftermarket, but made in the same style. I suspect they match the Hondaline GL500 guards, so they will fit any of the CX/GL500s. From a manufacturing standpoint, it makes sense to tool once.

·
Registered
11 Posts
also if they fit you probably need the "stand off" bolts for front mount. hard to find as I recall
How hard would these stand-off bolts be to replicate. Perhaps not exactly but good enough for gov’t? Could a longer bolt be purchased and a spacer used?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
You can still get them new from Honda. The part number is around here somewhere.
You'll also need longer bolts for the lower mounts.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
There's a very, very old thread started by DaveF that documents the different engine guards made for the CX/GL series, and shows the required parts with part numbers. I'm having a hard time finding it. All teh link I find point to choppercharles.com, the first incarnation of this forum.
I'll keep looking.

Randall

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
He's going to need the stand-offs and nuts for the upper front studs, longer bolts for the lower front mounts, and longer bolts for the rear mounts. Added 10mm to the stock bolts (check the parts fiche) will be sufficient. The stand-off is a 10mm female/8mm male, and will need an 8mm flange nut.

Randall

1 - 15 of 15 Posts