Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was testing the spark (i.e. pulled plugs from motor, touched spark plug to heads, cranked motor, and look for spark), but I wasn't getting any spark at the tip. So, I went and checked for voltage at the coils (there was voltage), then all the way to the end of the wires (there was voltage). So why is it that when I put the spark plugs in, I'm not getting spark during the test? They're the same plugs that were in the bike when I ran it last year, so I don't know why they wouldn't work now.

Any explanation why I won't get spark during the test, even though I'm getting voltage through the wires all they way up to the spark plugs?

Thanks for anyone's speedy response...i'm itching to get this thing fired up already (this is the only thing missing).

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Where are you grounding the plugs, to the heads or the valve covers?

The valve covers are isolated from the heads by the rubber gaskets.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you grounding the plugs, to the heads or the valve covers?

The valve covers are isolated from the heads by the rubber gaskets.
I tried both (because I figured that was the case with the valve covers being isolated), but no spark. Buuuuuuut just in case, I guess I should try that one more time against the heads.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I tried both (because I figured that was the case with the valve covers being isolated), but no spark. Buuuuuuut just in case, I guess I should try that one more time against the heads.
I usually use the engine hanger.

There have been rare cases where both plugs have been bad.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
What part do you consider the "hanger"? Is it the part of the motor that hangs from the two triangular brackets that also hold the coils in place?
the triangular brackets

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.