Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Just a quick question.I bought some LEDs for my bike today to replace the stock bulbs & lower the amps used.Then I remembered that the regulator dumps the extra power that the altenator makes to ground creating heat.So in my way of thinking adding LEDs would actually be harder on the regulator & lessen its life.Or I'm I on glue? Would like your input on this Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Agreed, the regulator would dissipate more heat. But I don't think this will lessen its life to any noticeable degree.

The regulator/rectifiers on these bikes are extremely rugged/reliable.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Most of those little lights are never on for that long so those are the ones that would even care. I suppose the only ones that would bring it up some is the rear running light and front turn signal running lights.

That's not enough for me to care.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I changed the rear running lights.went from a little over one amp tail light to 4ml/amps & from 4 amps stop light to 40ml/amps.Thought I was doing something good but maybe not such a good idea now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.