Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part

Here's what we are working with lads, sorry for the bad pics but I believe this little guy that's positioned next to where the battery used to be is called the voltage regulator rectifier. Where the h*** can I move this stupid thing to????? I'll be moving the battery to a spot kinda under/behind the engine and also threw on some K&n cold air intakes. So in that hole I'm mounting in a WWI ammo box for a little road tool box. I want to move the volt r r to a hidden location I don't really care where it goes. Any ideas? Also I'm putting straight pipes on and a banana seat, if that helps get a mental image

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also while we're here checkout this water reservoir that I made out of an old black powder can

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,402 Posts
You can mount the voltage reg anywhere you like, with only 2 real caveats. The reg generates heat to get rid of excess voltage so needs to be mounted where it can dissipate this heat to airflow.

The other caveat is that its wires reach the new location - or you can solder in new wire to extend.

Hope this is helpful. ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,402 Posts
Still working on my battery box but the RR is attached to its door which puts the RR pretty much where the battery was to start with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cxphreak, you said the wires have to reach the new location. Does that mean the wires have to reach to the battery from the new location or have to reach that same spot on the frame from the new location

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,736 Posts
The wires need to reach where they have to plug in. In other words, you don't want to move it to, say, below the headlight.

I just chimed in to affirm that it needs to be in as open a location as possible. Those big fins on it are there to increase the surface area to improve cooling and it has to have air moving past it or it will sit in a pocket of increasingly hot air until the smoke gets out (you do know about the theory that all electronic items are infused with smoke during the manufacturing process and that it is absolutely necessary to the function of the electronics so if it gets out the item will no longer function, don't you?)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob I had no idea... Lol that's pretty wild, I had no idea how it was all manufactured

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you can get a good look at the picture there's another something or other that's in front of the voltage reg rec anyone know what it's called? I'm having trouble figuring it out. Can it be moved with the reg rec as well? Or is it even necessary??

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,736 Posts
The part about them infusing parts with smoke during manufacture is a joke. The part about them not working after the smoke gets out is serious. It is very important for the reg/rec to be located where air can flow past it easily.

The item in front of the reg/rec is the starter solenoid. It is basically a magnetically controlled high current switch (a type of relay if you know what that is) that uses a small amount of current to energize a coil, turning it magnetic and pulling the contacts for the high current closed. It needs to be between the battery and the starter motor electrically. A lot of people who are relocating the battery mount the solenoid in or on the new battery box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts