Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just ordered me one of those LED voltage monitors from that chap in England. Now where am I gonna put it on the bike......

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well, I just ordered me one of those LED voltage monitors from that chap in England. Now where am I gonna put it on the bike......

On my fairing there was already a convienent hole where I just have to file it out a bit larger to fit. if you ordered the small one, and the depth isn't an issue and you took care to waterproof it, you could put it in the fuse cover on top of the handlebars - might not be a bad place to wire it up too.

Not sure what bike you have, maybe you could add it to you sig line?

Mike

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'll take a picture tonight of how mine is wired up, maybe that will help you get ideas.

Mike

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my fairing there was already a convienent hole where I just have to file it out a bit larger to fit. if you ordered the small one, and the depth isn't an issue and you took care to waterproof it, you could put it in the fuse cover on top of the handlebars - might not be a bad place to wire it up too.

Not sure what bike you have, maybe you could add it to you sig line?

Mike
I haven't figured out how to add stuff in my profile yet. My bike is a GL650i. I'm somewhat anal about deviating from factory stock and am trying to keep her as pristine as she is now and that is why I said "where to put it".Some day I may want to sell her and I want to try to get her in better shape than when she was acquired.

I like the idea of putting it up between the gauges but not sure of that yet. The fairing idea appeals to me also but not sure where the hole is that you speak of.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I haven't figured out how to add stuff in my profile yet. My bike is a GL650i. I'm somewhat anal about deviating from factory stock and am trying to keep her as pristine as she is now and that is why I said "where to put it".Some day I may want to sell her and I want to try to get her in better shape than when she was acquired.

I like the idea of putting it up between the gauges but not sure of that yet. The fairing idea appeals to me also but not sure where the hole is that you speak of.

I have a Vetter fairing. There were two existing holes in the back of it that had little plastic plugs in them, I removed the plug on the left side and filed it out larger for the voltage monitor.

I bet the Honda fairing is different - And you would like need to make any hole bigger depending on the size voltage monitor you got, as that guy in Scotland (I thought he was in England too, guvnor
)sold different sizes. I of course got the biggest size.

To leave the bike as stock as possible, you might be able to make a little bracket that bolts to the back of the indicators and is bent so you can pop the LED in it. Then if you ever need to convert back to stock you can just remove the little bracket.

Sorry about the picture, I went over with every intention of doing it, but in chaos of packing up my two year old, I forgot my camera..

Mike

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

SCOTLAND !!!!!!

Glasgow to be precise

Dont say 'England' some of them get jolly miffed if you say that old boy
My apology! It said UK and I took that as England. My mistake.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
By the way, speaking of volt meters, I've mentioned this before but...

There are some very inexpensive needle type volt meters out there. Do not buy one for your motorcycle. The do not handle the vibration very well. I put one in my Silverwing fairing and the needle jumped around so much it was impossible to read. These inexpensive LED lights seem to work much better, if you want a needle style, you'll need to pay a bit more.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
When I fitted some home made heated grips I made a switch bracket out of some this alloy sheet.I drilled and cut this so it would slide under the Headstock Allen bolt on the right hand side,the block that holds the fuses on a CX.I then put the switch there.You could do the same but make the hole the size for the LED.As this is removable it would not depreciate the bike

·
Registered
377 Posts
When I fitted some home made heated grips I made a switch bracket out of some this alloy sheet.I drilled and cut this so it would slide under the Headstock Allen bolt on the right hand side,the block that holds the fuses on a CX.I then put the switch there.You could do the same but make the hole the size for the LED.As this is removable it would not depreciate the bike

Thanks shep, that is what I was trying to say just not doing a good job.

Mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
Finally found time to take a pic and upload it.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
An update on the voltage monitor led light. Outside in the sun the light isn't distracting at all. It doesn't glow like the idiot lights. It seems like it's more at 1/2 power or less. But when the red comes on it's clearly visible over the other colors so you know when you're in trouble.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
An update on the voltage monitor led light. Outside in the sun the light isn't distracting at all. It doesn't glow like the idiot lights. It seems like it's more at 1/2 power or less. But when the red comes on it's clearly visible over the other colors so you know when you're in trouble.

Sounds perfect for the job then Don

·
Registered
3,771 Posts

Take the cigarette lighter plug (left hand side about the pocket) out of the fairing and go to your local Ace Hardware and get another one and drill the plug to the proper size to fit the light there. Then it is real easy to wire it to something inside the fairing (remove the turn signal) and still be able to easily remove it.

Just don't wire it to the turn signal ... as it would be flashing along with the signal ... don't ask how I know!

·
Registered
762 Posts

Roger does this photo from DaveF's site help at all?

"The LED was installed in the factory provided hole located just above the left fairing pocket."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.