Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering the idea of using professional vinyl wrap on my Silverwing. In order to keep with the "BlueWing" theme, I was considering using a metallic blue carbon fiber wrap and trimming the bike with polished aluminum pieces. Since the bike is fully dressed, it is going to be too expensive for me to get the whole bike painted, and the professional vinyl wrap is fairly inexpensive and will last 5-7 years outdoors (which I keep my bike in the garage when it is not ridden). Has anyone used a vinyl wrap on any of their bikes?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Can it really stretch over the curves of say the tank? I've seen it on buses and vans but not really on tight curves like on a bike. Several years ago, I looked into getting my wife's Prius wrapped(yellow of course). No one I could find who wrapped wanted to take on this project. I heard all kinds of reasons why my idea was a bad one and I don't think anyone thought they could do a credible job of wrapping a car and the cost was too close to a real paint job. I had it painted.

Capt Frank

I have been considering the idea of using professional vinyl wrap on my Silverwing. In order to keep with the "BlueWing" theme, I was considering using a metallic blue carbon fiber wrap and trimming the bike with polished aluminum pieces. Since the bike is fully dressed, it is going to be too expensive for me to get the whole bike painted, and the professional vinyl wrap is fairly inexpensive and will last 5-7 years outdoors (which I keep my bike in the garage when it is not ridden). Has anyone used a vinyl wrap on any of their bikes?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good questions! As for the gasoline problem, it states that it will hold up to mild acids and oil, and it can be polished just like a paint job - wax, polishes, etc. I figure I would have to be careful with gas spills and remove immediately when it happens. Since you can wax it, the wax should give some protection.

As for wrapping, there are different flexibility grades for more curved surfaces. It is applied with a standard heat gun, so all I can do is get some and try it.

The more professional (flexible) grade lasts up to nine years outdoors and has UV protection. I think nine years is long enough - I will probably be looking for a change after that long anyway, lol. But, since I keep it stored inside when not riding, I figure I should be able to get more than 10 years out of it anyway.

As for price - much cheaper than paint! It is only around $5.00 for a two foot sheet - and can buy in any length. At that price, it is well worth buying and trying it out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
While they don't last 7 years, the majority of NASCAR cars are wrapped and no longer painted.

So, if applied correctly, you won't have to worry about the wrap blowing off.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
As silly as it sounds, I'd experiment on the most difficult piece the bike has [a spare part would be better].

I wouldn't want to do three quarters of the bike and then find there's a couple of compound curves the film can't be persuaded to conform to.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've done professional vinyl wraps on vehicles and boats for about ten years now. The problem with vinyl is your contouring a flat piece of material to something that isn't flat. Our bikes have way too many curves to pull this off without a million wrinkles in the vinyl. I could see some pieces being easier than others...rear cowl for example but I know some people that do some amazing things with vinyl and I don't think any one of them would recommend it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.