Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Make your plans to attend Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course on July 22-24. Here is the link for information and tickets: http://www.midohio.com/Schedule/AMA-Vintage-Motorcycle-Days-2011

And before you ask, NO I am not affiliated with Mid Ohio. I'm just a race fan who has attended races there for over 15 years.

I just thought the folks on this forum would be interested. There are many events including: road racing, motocross, hare scrambles, half mile, demo rides, motorcycle auction, workshops, and what has been called the largest motorcycle swap meet in the country.

At the swap meet you can find just about anything for bikes imaginable. A great place for riders of 30 year old machines. You'll find everything from complete bikes in great shape, to enough parts to build your own. Maybe even that one indispensable piece to complete your restoration or just get her back on the road.

Plus you get to be with like-minded bikers who love older vintage machines.

Chime in with your own experiences if you've been there in years past.

TT

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I've been at least 3, maybe 4 times, I forget. Every three years or so. Love it every time, even when there is some rain and mud in the camping areas. It's like pulling teeth to get anyone from this BB to go though, lord knows (I hope I'm not violating any "no religion" rules
) I've tried over the years with minimal success. Great folks, (all 50k of them), fantastic mostly older bikes (all 30k of them, give or take), neat classic bike racing with close up viewing, huge swop meets, interesting speakers and tech sessions),yada, yada, yada. Okay, I did fall asleep in the front row at Craig Vetter's presentation. This isn't my year to go, but I will again. Lot's of events and activities, would be even more fun with a larger group of CX/GL enthusiasts. I always camp "inside", which has it's pros and cons for sure (not for light sleepers, defined as anyone who couldn't sleep on the taxiway of a military airport
) I think it would be less fun if you were by yourself. Nobody to argue with
. If you think modern road racing has lost it soul, this would be the place for you. If you enjoy meandering down Nostalgia Lane, this would be the place for you. If you owned more than five crummy motorcycles before you were 19, and want to see them all again, in the flesh, this would be the place for you.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I agree with both of the earlier posts! Now thats something that seldom happens! It has been difficult to get folks from this board to VMD. However, having said that, there have been more than a few go. I have been 3 times & Rich I feel you have been at least 4 or maybe 5 times. It seems you always say this is a year for you not to attend and then you turn around and go anyway! Unfortunately for me, it is an off year and I will not attend. I enjoyed camping at the site and will do it again, maybe next year. I have had a few health problems this year but hope for resolution after tomorrow. BTW Rich since you are going to VMD (again) I guess you are not coming to the Mountain Momma rally in West Virginia. If I don't see you there, maybe the Amish!

Gene

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I posted this because I find this event exciting and fitting for people who love older machines. I have attended every VMD that has been at Mid Ohio. Actually I have attended every race at Mid Ohio for over 15 years. I live about 20 minutes from there and my wife gets me a season pass for Christmas.

My dad even bought a 1982 GL500 last year at the swap meet. I was a little envious because I had been looking for one for about a year. He found it first. I did eventually find the GL650 last winter and I am quite pleased with it.

TT

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
TT, you need to stick around and welcome to the board if you are new! I would have loved to have had the benefit of your experience during my first visit! Since Rich will be there to represent HTTA maybe you could contact him. Obviously you go home each night but maybe you could be lured into spending a night at the park! Be aware Rich & his crew love to eat and have been known to put serious dents in all you can eat buffets! As I told Rich due to health reasons I can't make this year but next year I am going to come up again. My son & his family live in Grove City and I always combine a visit with them when I go to VMD. Good to have you on board!

Gene

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I went to VMD last year and had a GREAT time

Even when some guy named Kevin started to try and out drink me beer fer beer...

Gene/Rich, if yer going next year count me in

All The Best........Keith......

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I went to VMD last year and had a GREAT time

Even when some guy named Kevin started to try and out drink me beer fer beer...

Gene/Rich, if yer going next year count me in

All The Best........Keith......

Keith, next year is a possibility but I no longer plan a year ahead, just 6 months!

Gene

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.