Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1980 CX500C and I are signed up for a 1,000 mile ride thru Arizona and New Mexico in May 2021. I understand we will be riding mostly back roads and trails and to expect lots of sand and gravel (i.e. what you might expect to encounter in the desert SW).

This bike is stock, not ridden often and has spent the last five years in storage. I’ve ridden it about 100 miles over the weekend and it’s doing everything right. I’ve got two new Bates Baja tires on the way and plan to change all the fluids and plugs.

What more would you do to prep for a ride like this?

·
Registered
226 Posts
+1 on getting all the maintenance done.

Put together a tire repair kit, toolkit and first aid kit.

If you're not familiar with riding on gravel on this bike, now is the time to practice a bit. Stay loose and let the bike wander a bit. This will also help to sort out things like strapping down your gear and where to stash snacks and water.

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Pack a spare air filter on the ride.

Otherwise, as CXPHREAK said. Full Service everything.

You may want to begin riding a bit more and add distance. This is mainly to get your saddle accustomed to long day rides. No, not the saddle on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
If you haven't already done so download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. I was going to tell you to replace the 5 year old tires no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet) but you've already ordered them While you are changing the rear tire replace the o-rings (1 on the hub and 1 on the final drive) that keep the grease in the splines and the dirt out (one of the rings on mine broke and the spline flange was ruined by the time I changed the tire again). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (if it splits on the bottom you won't notice).
BTW: When you have the rear wheel off make sure you clean the splines, apply fresh moly/lith grease and use the proper procedure to put it back together:
  • Loosen the nuts that attach the final drive to the swingarm and do them up finger tight only.
  • Tighten the axle nut first (this will pull the wheel and FD splines into alignment)
  • Tighten the swingarm pinch bolt next (if you did it first the ends of the swingarm would be drawn together when you tightened the axle nut)
  • Tighten the final drive nuts last.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Make sure you get plenty of miles on it now to give it a chance to tell you about any bugs needing attention (not the kind that stick to your helmet).
Put together a decent first aid kit.
Keep the forum up to date on your preparations so we can tell you everything you are doing wrong.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Stay off the front brake, gear down, and throttle up.
Throttle up is good for a sandy patch, but if you throttle up and the patch doesn't end...

Clinton Smout has excellent ADV riding tutorial videos on YouTube

·
Registered
541 Posts
A
My 1980 CX500C and I are signed up for a 1,000 mile ride thru Arizona and New Mexico in May 2021. I understand we will be riding mostly back roads and trails and to expect lots of sand and gravel (i.e. what you might expect to encounter in the desert SW).

This bike is stock, not ridden often and has spent the last five years in storage. I’ve ridden it about 100 miles over the weekend and it’s doing everything right. I’ve got two new Bates Baja tires on the way and plan to change all the fluids and plugs.

What more would you do to prep for a ride like this?
Some thoughts useful for longer rides-A cable repair kit-e.g. the motionpro universal ones,maybe even a spare coil...but maybe i'm being overly cautious

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you haven't already done so download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
When you say "go through all of the service procedures", you mean perform the 21,600 mile service on page 1-10? I have the Clymer manual, is the the factory manual substantially different in any important respects?

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Throttle up is good for a sandy patch, but if you throttle up and the patch doesn't end...

Clinton Smout has excellent ADV riding tutorial videos on YouTube

What I meant was to gear down to keep the engine in the power band. It provides better throttle response, which you want on a loose surface.

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
When you say "go through all of the service procedures", you mean perform the 21,600 mile service on page 1-10? I have the Clymer manual, is the the factory manual substantially different in any important respects?
Let's put it this way: They guys who wrote the Clymer book might have done better if they had paid more attention to the FSM. The factory books for the CX family are particularly well written so there is no need for someone to try to interpret them for us.
I have a Clymer manual but I almost never look at it.

And I meant every maintenance procedure for every mileage interval. Your bike is 4 decades old, which means that even if the parts haven't worn out due to use they can be in just as bad condition or just as out of adjustment due to age.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Clymer and Haynes have nice supplemental photos but really do have errors, so only trust the FSM and follow it like the Bible (no offense to any other faith).

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
Haynes never had coloured drawings (the only coloured images I've ever seen in Haynes are the pics of spark plugs) and Clymer started printing the wiring drawings in black & white years ago, rendering them virtually useless.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
The mileage is insignificant, many of us would ride that on Saturday and Sunday and not give it much thought. In your case the focus should be on prepping for the environment, terrain, non-asphalt, dust, tire damage potential and ability to get assistance or broken bike transport, or self repair, etc. Since I am not familiar with the southwest I'll leave that advice to those who know. Only the lead bike will ride mostly in the clear, all others will ingest mucho dust.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts