Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

This is my first post and I appreciate any help I can get. I have an 81 CX500 Custom, and I'm trying to title and register it in WI. The problem is that in 1981 the VINs were supposed to be 17 characters long. However, my bike doesn't have the data plate on the headstock on the left side. It does have a stamped VIN on the right side of the headstock. The VIN is PC0100BM206331. If it was a US model from 1981 it should start with JH2. The engine serial number is PC01E-2206400. After doing some research on motofaction's website I believe it may be a Canadian CX500CB from 1981 but then the VIN should start with PC010-BM, and my VIN has an additional 0 but no dashes. Did the stamped VIN numbers on the right side of the headstock differ from the VINS on the dataplate? I heard some early 1981 models were going to ship without a 17 digit VIN but then they added JH2 to the beginning to comply with US law at the time. Is it possible the JH2 was on the dataplate that is missing?

Right now the state of WI says the bike doesn't have a valid VIN, but if I add JH2 to the beginning I think it will be a valid VIN. There is a sticker on the frame on the back of the bike which says it complies with US EPA law for new bikes in 1981, so I'm pretty sure it was built in 1981.

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
As far as I know the VIN on the data plate matches the stamped Vin on the headstock. Canadian bikes had the data plate on the headstock as well as the VIN stamped into the headstock. Is there any evidence of it having been there at one time? Is it possible that it is an import from Europe, perhaps shipped back by a returning serviceman?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,429 Posts
The US EPA sticker makes me wonder. That would not have been applied to a vehicle intended for sale anywhere other than the US but I wonder if it could have been applied when it was inspected when someone imported it...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.