Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my bike was ticketed for an expired parking meter (I know, I know) but instead of ticketing the bike they impounded it claiming the VIN was "tampered with."
I checked the bike and the VIN is clear as day under the handlebars. I'm guessing they didn't know where the VIN is etched and couldn't find it.

Should the VIN also be stamped on the engine?
The bike is currently being held under a detective investigation, ridiculous, and the detective on the case is of course gone until Monday.

I think the bike was towed unreasonably and am fighting all I can, what do you guys think? Do I have a case? Because it's clear on the front of the bike this all seems ridiculous to me.

Thanks, as always.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There's an engine number on the engine, no VIN though.

What exactly do they mean by tampered with? Could be any number of specific definitions of that...

VIN physically missing
VIN physically modified
VIN doesn't match engine number
...etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They said it was dented or bent and unreadable.
That doesn't apply in any way, so I think they just ticked a box they thought was the closest to the issue.

Either way, I'm annoyed and want my bike back.

·
Registered
205 Posts
And should match 100% unless someone sold you a hot frame with a plate from a titled bike. The numbers should be the same and both numbers should be there.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
This is an example of a stamped metal data plate....left fork frame. On the opposite frame should be the exact same data stamped into the metal of the frame.

Like Murray said, these numbers on the plate and stamped in the opposite frame point should match. The engine serial number will not necessarily be a match, and rarely is.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think that would be a heavy consideration during a custom build or paint job is to make sure this number is easily readable. That's just me though.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Did not have any issues in NC with the VIN stamped on the steering tube. As long as the registration & VIN numbers match, should not be an issue. The plate was not on my bike when I purchased it, like ramprat06's bike. The number on the engine is not the VIN # on my bike.

My VIN # was powder coated, but it's still easy to read, just can't in this photo with my poor photography skills.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I scrape the paint out of the numbers before painting, then prime.

Then mask it for all colour coats bar the last one to avoid paint buildup.
And mask the VIN if you ever send the frame off to get blasted. I hate to admit it, but long ago, I sent a frame off to get blasted. They gave the job to someone in the shop, who was either green or didn't give a shit. Yes I should have had my wits about me and masked it off..... my fault... wasn't thinking... about 95 % of the numbers were obliterated and it was a rare frame with an important number.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Get this: I had a Chinese guy working for me, who had an international drivers licence, and about once a month the police would stop him and impound his car. Then a couple of days later would let him have it back and maybe the next week do it again, different cops mind you ,but they just did it over and over again, because when you don't understand the law you just arrogantly act if you are a policeman. This is always one of the fundamental problems that police have. Good luck with undoing their ignorance. The because on that note, is another fundamental problem that all police forces have is admitting their mistakes.

CX 500 Deluxe 1980

1 - 12 of 12 Posts