Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with vin searches on these old bikes? Tried to search but came up with nothing on the site about it. I wanted to check here before I pay for it. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,896 Posts
That will tell him what it is and when it was made but it won't tell him if it is stolen or has any liens. I haven't found a site that will give that information for bikes but that doesn't mean there isn't one...

BTW: I have no idea about anywhere else but in Ontario when a vehicle changes hands a Used Vehicle Information Package is required which lists every registered owner from new (including dealerships). If the seller didn't provide one the licensing office prints it out when the buyer registers it. Anyone can apply to have the UVIP printed for any vehicle ($20 fee) so if the seller doesn't have one and you want to check before buying you can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That will tell him what it is and when it was made but it won't tell him if it is stolen or has any liens. I haven't found a site that will give that information for bikes but that doesn't mean there isn't one...

BTW: I have no idea about anywhere else but in Ontario when a vehicle changes hands a Used Vehicle Information Package is required which lists every registered owner from new (including dealerships). If the seller didn't provide one the licensing office prints it out when the buyer registers it. Anyone can apply to have the UVIP printed for any vehicle ($20 fee) so if the seller doesn't have one and you want to check before buying you can.
That's what I was wondering sorry I should have been more specific. I was just checking to see if y'all knew of anywhere that runs vins for those reasons for free. Most won't do prior to 1981 or less than 17 characters which my bike meets neither requirement. Thanks. I'll make a build thread or whatever once I get this photo hosting thing figured out with the story.

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
I have a link below with some photo posting tips that might help you.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my license back less than 6 months ago after losing it for 2 1/2 years so I'm trying to be good haha. Still need to get the motorcycle license.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will your local police precinct or sheriff's office run a check for you?

R
That is a great idea. I'm just naturally hesitant towards LEOs but that'll save me a trip if it is in fact stolen. I'm not too worried it is but the ignition switch was ripped out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts