Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I'd like to say: Hello! :) I'm Matt and I'm rebuilding '82 CX500 Euro.

My honey's heart is in parts and I want to paint it, using VHT Engine black paint. So I have two questions:

1. How many cans of this paint do I need to paint almost whole engine (without clutch cover, valve covers)?
2. Is VHT Primer necessary? If so, how many cans of it do I need?

Thanks in advance! :)

PS. Are there any CXers from New Britain, CT? I'm being on holiday here and I'm missing a view of CX :p

·
Registered
584 Posts
Firstly, I'd like to say: Hello! :) I'm Matt and I'm rebuilding '82 CX500 Euro.

My honey's heart is in parts and I want to paint it, using VHT Engine black paint. So I have two questions:

1. How many cans of this paint do I need to paint almost whole engine (without clutch cover, valve covers)?
2. Is VHT Primer necessary? If so, how many cans of it do I need?

Thanks in advance! :)

PS. Are there any CXers from New Britain, CT? I'm being on holiday here and I'm missing a view of CX :p

I have used VHT to do my mufflers on my cx turbo. I have not painted a complete engine. My recommendation is to use the primer. It builds up better than the paint and will result in a better and more durable paint job.

I am guessing that you will need 2-3 cans of each for your complete engine. I did a a complete turbo exhaust, downpipe, mufflers, badges, and heat shield with about 1.5 cans of primer, and less than one can of flat (down pipe) and just over 1 can of a gloss black for exhaust, badges, and heat shield.

Do not feel like you need to buy all at once. if you live close to store, buy a can of primer and see how it goes, If you need an additional one, go buy that.

I put on about 3 coats of primer and 3-4 coats of color. I did bake mine in an oven. You can probably use an IR heater, But others say you can let it cure good. I tended to follow the directions as much as I could.

I really like the product. Good stuff for rattle can.:D

·
Super Moderator
23,397 Posts
I would etch prime first for adhesion to alloy. Half a can will generally do this as you only need a thin coating.

But I would have three cans of VHT ready.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the answer! :)

Does cx500 engine really need a paint? What if I'd like to have clean aluminium engine block without paint? Was there any technical reason of engine painting in Honda factory?

Cost of 5 cans of VHT in Poland is just a little bit smaller than glass bead blasting. Of course, I won't get black colour this way, but clean aluminium surface looks good to me :)

Has someone done glass bead blasting? :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
A only use VHT on really hot surfaces. Read the can and you will see it takes very high heat to cure the paint. Until then gasoline will take it off. It is not a very strong paint even when fully cured. It is also not resistant to solvents even when it is heat cured.
I would stick with good paint like duplicolor or rustoleum. Those paints don't depend on a high temp cure.

Your engine is NOT high temp. Only the exhust gets hot enough for the cure.

·
Super Moderator
23,397 Posts
I find that VHT is a brand name only and their engine enamels behave much like any other. I mainly use VHT or duplicolour produvts.

I use VHT flameproof on my Mac 2 into 1 as the chrome is long gone. This stuff is VERY fragile until cured and of course takes very high heat to cure but I only need to give it a quick recoat twice a year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts