Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't pass up on those vetter saddlebags or saddlebag brackets when you find them cheap. They can be modified for only pennies a day.

Here's what I did and you can do it to. I found a set of vetter bags for so cheap that I couldn't pass them up. I didn't want them but I couldn't pass them up. It turned out my brother wanted them so this is what we did. We modified them to fit a cx500 custom. With a single trip to the hardware store we picked up a length of 1/2 inch round bar and two pieces of flatstock used on certain clamps.

The key is all in the measuring. I found my rear mounting point and took measurements from a point on the brackets to the rear pegs. It turned out that the set of brackets I had were about 3 inches longer than needed. I ended up cutting a 3 inch section out of the middle of the extending bracket and cut a 5-6 inch piece of round bar and pounded it into the tube of the vetter bracket till things lined right up. Then drilled holes for the top bracket. It was that simple. They are sturdy and do the job.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great job Don!

I chickened out on mine and got a local welder to fab my brackets. Basically all he did was

cut off the long bar and reweld it halfway down along the lower end of the bottom of the bracket.

A couple more connect points and all done. Cost me nearly $100, but was worth it because the

luggage now sit exactly where I wanted them and still use the grab bar and the helmet locks.

Now the trunk fortunately all I had to do was to spread the bars the trunk mounts to apart until

I could get them on the Vetter frames. Then bent the tabs on the bottom of the bars to the right

angle and got it on the bike. Sooo nice and lots more room than the Hondaline stuff.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another thing I learned for those who don't have a welder or want to pound the rod in there. The end of vetter brackets aren't special. The brackets are made of tubing and where they meet at the footpeg there is a light taper and a hole. While nothing special was done with then end making it fancy. So If you have a hammer or vise you could pound the end flat where you need it and drill new holes for mounting.

As for costs.

Saddlebags with everything were bought for $10

New locks with 4 keys bought at the hardware store for $7

1/2 inch roundbar and 2 metal pieces $8.

The whole setup only cost $25 and maybe 2 hours time with mock up, cutting and running for materials. Maybe even including eating at subway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't pass up on those vetter saddlebags or saddlebag brackets when you find them cheap. They can be modified for only pennies a day.

Here's what I did and you can do it to. I found a set of vetter bags for so cheap that I couldn't pass them up. I didn't want them but I couldn't pass them up. It turned out my brother wanted them so this is what we did. We modified them to fit a cx500 custom. With a single trip to the hardware store we picked up a length of 1/2 inch round bar and two pieces of flatstock used on certain clamps.

The key is all in the measuring. I found my rear mounting point and took measurements from a point on the brackets to the rear pegs. It turned out that the set of brackets I had were about 3 inches longer than needed. I ended up cutting a 3 inch section out of the middle of the extending bracket and cut a 5-6 inch piece of round bar and pounded it into the tube of the vetter bracket till things lined right up. Then drilled holes for the top bracket. It was that simple. They are sturdy and do the job.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice job.

Mounting mine soon. What did you use to mount the turn signals? Were the stalks

already on the bracket when you got it? Mine are missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Oddly enought my lids were painted the same color as your bros bike. Mine are black.

Already sanded and primed and ready for a new coat of paint.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
at the rear of the brackets there is a hole where the special vetter turn signals attached. But you can put the stock cx turn signals in those holes. You will have to extend the wires a bit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can either mount your taillights on the Vetter brackets or if you have the taillight extenders that would

be used if you had the Hondaline luggage, you can use them and still mount the Vetter brackets. I kept my taillight

extenders on the bike because I used them as part of the mounting setup I have for the Vetter brackets. They stick

out a bit but my Vetter trunk sticks out more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
at the rear of the brackets there is a hole where the special vetter turn signals attached. But you can put the stock cx turn signals in those holes. You will have to extend the wires a bit.

Thanks for the reply........I know where the hole is. Do you need to use

a step washer or other "special" hardware to mount them as I have seen in

the Vetter site? Nothing really pertains to our 1982 CX500.

appreciate it.

Al

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can either mount your taillights on the Vetter brackets or if you have the taillight extenders that would

be used if you had the Hondaline luggage, you can use them and still mount the Vetter brackets. I kept my taillight

extenders on the bike because I used them as part of the mounting setup I have for the Vetter brackets. They stick

out a bit but my Vetter trunk sticks out more.
Thanks for the quick reply....down here on Whidbey in Freeland, and just

recieved my 82 cx 500. The mounting brackets were for a 1980 Beamer and

the need to modify a bit I guess. The bike looks good.

al

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should just be a hole big enough for the turn signal to go in and the nut from the turn signal locks it in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts